[Imc-makerspace] April Membership Meeting, Sunday @ 7pm

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Thu May 2 03:18:21 UTC 2013

Hi all.  Danielle from the board here. Thanks for all the work you do!

A few things:

1) I will be giving a brief slide show about the IMC in Washington DC in
two weeks and want to show a few slides of Makerspace activities.  The
audience is policy makers and congressional leaders (aka big wigs). Any
great photos of your digital divide, Girls Do Science, or other programs
you can point me to? Thanks!

2) I want to apologize for any shortcomings in the financial reporting.
 Sounds like you are meeting in person to address - good.

3) Board elections are in the Fall and I want to urge Makerspace to have
board representation. Some of the problems I see cropping up stem from that
disconnect. Boards only work well when they have strong connection to those
on the ground doing the work aka YOU.

4) Looking at your meeting notes, I think something got lost in
translation. "They would like us to do more volunteer work for the IMC"
came from two things:
1 - the board created a path to IMC membership through sweat equity.
Makerspace members and volunteers are invited to also be IMC members and
can donate money or time to make this happen.
2 - the www.ucimc.org site needs love. We are appealing to all groups to
help either with tech, design, or at least feeding content from the
individual working group sites. All groups stand to benefit. This is a
request, not a demand.

5) I think feeding us/them feelings is bad for the IMC, Makerspace, and
everyone. I really want to urge greater communication and building trust.
If there is any way I can help with this, I want to.

I give regular tours of the IMC and folks are blown away by the Makerspace
and all it does. Really, really appreciate all the great work you do.

Danielle

On May 1, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Gergana Slavova <gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com>