[Imc-makerspace] 3D printer malfunction

Brian Williams brn.j.williams at gmail.com
Wed May 8 22:05:46 UTC 2013

For anyone using the 3D printer in the near future:

Last night it had a freakout and the stage started driving straight down.
 I unplugged it before it hit the bottom (which could have potentially
broken the stage?  There is no safety switch for +z).  After restarting
everything, it worked fine.  We think the microcontroller just crashed.
 Keep your eyes out for a repeat event, and if it happens, just unplug the
power supply, and disconnect and reconnect the microcontroller by
unplugging the USB cable, ideally before the stage or printer head crashes
into something hard.  You'll recognize a malfunction by an
uncharacteristically persistent tone indicating that one motor is turning
at constant speed for way too long.

- Brian