[Imc-makerspace] Thai media activist to visit IMC Nov 6th - seeking collaborators to coordinate her visit

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Thu Oct 3 00:46:42 UTC 2013

Hey Makerspace folk,

I recently reconnected with Sarinee Achavanuntakul, the Director of
ThaiPublica and the Thai Netizen Network, <https://thainetizen.org/> who I
met giving media justice workshops in Thailand. She is traveling in the US
as a Eisenhower Fellow this November. Thailand offers several clear
examples of the mobilizing power of new media and  Thai Netizen is a
network at the forefront of the contest terrain of internet freedom.
Attached is a brief about Sarinee's work.

I would like to propose the IMC and Makerspace, along with campus
cosponsors (Center for Global Studies, etc) host a dialogue about the
international movements for internet freedom and their role in promoting
participatory democracy while Sarinee is here on the evening of Wed Nov
6th.

Is Makerspace interested in collaborating on an event with her? That would
mean helping to shape an evening event, making asks to co-sponsors to help
with outreach, helping with outreach, and welcoming her and giving her a
tour of Makerspace and IMC. No financial support is needed - Eisenhower is
paying for her travel and she is staying at my house.

Let me know your thoughts and any ideas/questions you have.

Danielle