[Imc-makerspace] April Membership Meeting [April 27 Minutes]

Gergana Slavova gergana.s.slavova at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:04:12 EDT 2014

 Attendees: Monica, Emily, Gergana, Barry, Jeff

*) Opens
     -- Mailing list move to @makerspaceurbana.org
          $) No progress; drop for now
      -- Post a list of workshops on the website
          $) Would like to do, lower priority for now
*) Membership/Financial Update
     -- Financial status and future plans
          $) IMC would not do a roll-over from 2013 which means inaccurate
current accounting
          $) We seem to be ok for now: about $1K, plus our Urbana Arts
Grant ($2.5K)
          $) Create a committee to work on expansion plans
               #) Potential space expansion (e.g. sunroom or former zine
room)
               #) Send a call to the general MU body to participate (Emily
and Jeff)
               #) Consider changing dues
          $) Need a subscription service on the website (e.g. Stripe)
     -- Funding ideas
          $) Selling bike light cross-stitch kits on Etsy: no update
          $) Will also do a general ask of anyone who has ever visited the
space
               #) E-mail ready, waiting on Stripe or similar
          $) Py-CU workshop
               #) Introduction to Programming, 2nd Weekend of August, on
Friday, Saturday, Sunday (Elizabeth)
          $) Put up a "Did you enjoy the space?  Donate here" sign next to
the donation jar
               #) Sent to Carleen, could also approach Jeff Harris
          $) Funding from Acorn Media for Help Desk
               #) Have spreadsheet, will send request this week
          $) Awesome Foundation grant (for TUFL workshops?)
               #) Closest one is in Chicago, Emily will send our proposal
for Urbana Free Library workshops
          $) 3D printing keychains for a $1
               #) Could do them on May 9th for the garage sale next day
               #) Ask Colten if he wants to edit the current image object
to add an MU logo on the squirrels
          $) We should have a list of 3D printer usage rules (including
donation amounts)
               #) Jeff Harris is working on that
*) Help Desk
     -- Garage Sale on May 10th, 10am-4pm
*) RFID lock project
     -- No update in about a year
     -- Should get current developers to post their project on the MU
website so anyone can volunteer to continue
*) Py-CU
     -- No rep tonight
*) Past events:
     -- Family Science Day @ Redbird Arena, Normal, IL (Saturday, April 5,
2014, 11am-4pm)
     -- GSLIS tour - Emily (Saturday, April 5, 2014 - 1:00)
     -- MU table @ Champaign Public Library's 2014 Home School Fair (Saturday,
April 19, 10am-noon)
     -- LED workshop @ Dr. Howard Elementary (Wed, April 23, noon)
          $) Should make squishy circuits our ready-to-go kit
     -- U of I Public Engagement Grant collaboration with Design for
America group
          $) Met on April 19, 3pm to discuss details
          $) Working on assessing community needs and then developing
workshops to address those needs
          $) Timeline is after Maker Fest
*) Upcoming/potential events:
     -- AGORA Festival <http://agorafestival.com/> (May 2nd and 3rd)
          $) MU open during the day (10am - 3pm), Emily presenting at 7pm
     -- Table at the Market (7am-noon) + Garage Sale (10am - 4pm) on May 10
     -- PyCU's Women's IT and Computing Open House (Saturday, May 31, 1-4pm)
     -- Art @ the Market (July 12, 7am-noon)
          $) Need to start an ask for old t-shirts from people
     -- Bloomington Children's Museum workshop (July/August)
          $) Should consider getting the Bloomington groups involved here
     -- 1st Annual Heartland Maker Fest (Saturday, Sept. 13)
     -- Illinois State's College of Education conference (T21Con)
          $) Waiting on Bloomington connection to respond
     -- MU hosting a Cadet Girl Scout troop (potential Saturday)
          $) Gergana to e-mail on status
     -- Potential Orpheum workshops: no update
     -- Glass bead workshop (Dena)
          $) Waiting on Dena to finalize a date
     -- Google Glass workshop (Liz)
          $) No update, need to decide on a date to run this workshop
(ideally have it ready for the WIT conference)
     -- Jamie Nelson from UofI's Emerging Technologies group
          $) Panel on Makerspaces & Illinois Emerging Technologies Report
          $) Emily and Colten are doing a panel on May 19th
     -- Saturday Open Hours rotation (11am - 1pm)
          $) Create a sign-up genius sheet so people can decide on dates
     -- Summer Make-a-tion 2014
          $) Start an e-mail discussion on potential dates and workshops
*) Other things of interest:
     -- Printoo
Kickstarter<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1030661323/printoo-paper-thin-flexible-arduinotm-compatible-m>

If I missed anything, let me know.