[Imc-makerspace] We Need Helpers! for a National Society of Black Engineers(NSBE) event for kids

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 14:05:41 EDT 2014

Our local NSBE <http://nsbe.ec.illinois.edu/> group has asked Makerspace
Urbana members to help run activity tables at their "When I Grow Up I Want
to be an Engineer!" event. If you're interested in helping please email me
back and/or Join this FB event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1558001747763199/>.

The date for the event is *Thursday, September 25, 2014 at the Don Moyer
Boys and Girls. Club from 4-5:30.*

No skillz required! Plus we will be holding a practice workshop during open
hours Wed Sep 24th at 7pm at the Makerspace to help train volunteers, so
please come by for that if you want to run through the activities before
hand.

Here is a little more about the event:

> The purpose of this service event is to provide an elementary explanation
> to children on what it means to be an engineer, and the impact those who
> dominate the STEM field make on a daily basis. The event’s goals will be
> accomplished through thought provoking discussions, as well as carrying out
> experiments that will introduce children to scientific and engineering
> concepts, while sparking their curiosity, and manifesting the mentality
> that science can be fun!

Thanks!
  Jeff