[Imc-makerspace] REMINDER: Mitch Altman's Arduino For Total Newbies Workshop and RACES Fundraiser [Sunday @ 1pm]

MakerSpace Urbana makerspaceu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 11:10:18 EST 2016

Hello Makers!

This is just a reminder about the exciting Arduino For Total Newbies
Workshop and RACES Fundraiser we're hosting tomorrow(Sunday)!

More Info:
We're excited to welcome back makerspace traveler extraordinaire Mitch
Altman for an exciting workshop where you can learn about Arduinos and
build a TV-B-Gone as an example project. This will also be a *benefit event* in
support of *Rape Advocacy, Counseling, & Education Services (RACES
<http://www.cu-races.org/>)* - an amazing organization Makerspace Urbana is
currently fundraising for. We'll have a representative on hand to help
answer questions about how you canhelp support RACES
<https://www.crowdrise.com/makerspaceconsent>.

If you're excited about electronics and/or making cool things, this is the
workshop for you! No previous experience or knowledge required. You don't
even need to know what is an Arduino!

*Cost:*
Instruction: *FREE!*
Arduino For Total Newbies Workshop Kit: *$35*
Additional donation to directly support RACES
<http://www.cu-races.org/>: *Whatever
you can donate!*

*Details:*
Where: Independent Media Center, 202 S. Broadway Ave, Urbana, IL (Main
room, straight through the red doors)
When: Sunday, March 6, 1-4:30pm

Itinerary for Arduino For Total Newbies Workshop:

   - Intro to Arduino
   - Very short lesson to learn everything you need to know about
   electronics!
   - Learn to solder. Don't let this scare you! Mitch has taught about
   58,000 people to solder, many of whom have never made anything before in
   their lives. It is actually a very easy skill to learn. It is also very
   useful.
   - Then we will each make our own Arduino clone from a kit (either
   BoArduino by Ladyada or Diavolino by Evil Mad Scientist).
   - Now that we each have our own Arduino, we will set up the free and
   open-source software on our laptops (if you bring one) -- Windows, MacOS,
   or Linux are all fine!
   - And then it's time to make something and learn how easy it is to use
   Arduino! We'll show you how to hack Arduino software (which are called
   "sketches"). We'll (very easily!) show you how to read schematic diagrams,
   and you'll put together your own TV-B-Gone remote control using your
   Arduino clone. We will use a solderless breadboard. These are very useful,
   and provide a fast and easy way to put circuits together without needing to
   solder.  When done, you can start making your own cool projects!
   - Target practice!

The kit provided at the Arduino For Total Newbies Workshop includes (all of
which you can take with you):

   - Arduino clone kit (either BoArduino kit or Diavolino kit)
   - solderless breadboard
   - parts needed for making a TV-B-Gone remote control with the Arduino
   clone
   - FTDI cable (for communicating between your computer and the Arduino
   clone)
   - fun propaganda and stickers
   - jumper wires (that you can take with you)
   - AA batteries (for use during the workshop)

If you can't make the workshop but would still like to support this amazing
organization, DONATE HERE <https://www.crowdrise.com/makerspaceconsent/>!

~Jeff
Member, Makerspace Urbana

--