[Imc-members] Thank you for your support of the UCIMC!

Nicole Pion nicole at ucimc.org
Wed Dec 30 17:29:56 CST 2009

*2010 marks the Urbana Champaign Independent Media Center’s 10thAnniversary.
*Thank you for all you’ve done to contribute to the UCIMC’s success!*

Can you help us lay the groundwork for 10 more years with a contribution to
the UCIMC <http://ucimc.org/content/donate-uc-imc>? *

We have always relied upon individual and local donors as our main source of
support, and your support matters now more than ever.  We intend to raise
$30,000 in grassroots donations in 2010 to sustain and grow our programs and
events. During these difficult times more people are turning to the UCIMC to
have a voice in the community. We have expanded community access to our
radio station, production studios, performance venue, art gallery, and
independent press library. Here are some recent highlights:

   - With the award of a recent grant, the *IMC now hosts** 9 full time
   AmeriCorps members* who will greatly increase the capacity of all of our
   programs and provide technical support for community journalists.

   - Our community radio station, WRFU just celebrated its 4th anniversary
   on the air!

   - The UCIMC's Books to Prisoners project has sent over *41,000 books* to
   Illinois inmates.  For their work, Books to Prisoners was awarded the *2009
   Governor's Home Town Award* and received an Honorable Reference from the
   McKinley Foundation Social Justice Award.

   - In the wake of the police killing of 15 year old Kiwane Carrington, the
   UCIMC has fostered public dialogue, offering family members space to tell
   their story to the press.  Through UCIMC venues, community members have
   posted website stories, created radio broadcasts and videos, and organized
   youth speak-outs about police violence.

   - This summer, the UCIMC hosted the *Indy Media and Arts Lab,* a low-cost
   summer camp alternative for youth, with support from the City of
Urbana. Youth
   participants learned radio broadcast, drumming, painting, sculpture,
   community gardening, and other forms of creative self-expression.

You can donate online at: http://ucimc.org/content/donate-uc-imc - any
amount is appreciated! *Your support means that individuals, communities,
and those working for social justice do not need to rely on corporate media
to have our voices heard!

*In Solidarity,

UCIMC Finance Working Group