[Imc-members] 2011 Grassroots Radio Conference

Kristina Williams kristinawho at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 13:04:28 CST 2011

Greetings everyone,

At the IMC Steering meeting last Thursday, a proposal was passed to include
the IMC in the bid to host the 2011 Grassroots Radio Conference (GRC) the
first weekend of August.  This is an *excellent* opportunity to bring big
players in the radio movement from across the nation into the IMC and the
Champaign-Urbana community, and a *substantial* fundraising opportunity for
WRFU and the IMC.  Hosting this 2 1/2 day conference is an chance for WRFU,
the IMC, and the greater CU community to come together and support a social
justice, media advocacy and community radio.

Some steps that have already been taken:

   - A projected budget has been created
   - Request to IMC Tech group to register "grassrootsradioconference.org"
   and create a GRC listserv
   - IMC passed a proposal to make a formal bid for the GRC this year.
   - A meeting is scheduled with the Champaign County's Visitor's Bureau, of
   which the Sales Director has offered firm support in helping us place the
   bid

The most necessary step though, that still needs to be taken, is bring
together all interested parties.  If you would like to assist in
coordinating this event or volunteer your time/resources, please meet with
us at the IMC on *Monday, March 7 at 6pm*.  We will discuss what the GRC is,
steps that have already been taken, and how you can help. If you cannot make
it to the meeting, I understand this is fairly short notice. If you can't
come but want to support this effort, email me, and I will make sure you are
included in the conversations.

SO, to sum it up:
*What:* GRC Interest Meeting
*Who:* Everyone interested (get it?)
*When:* Monday, March 7, 6pm
*Where:* At the IMC (202 S. Broadway in Urbana)
*Why:* ...do I really need to answer this?

Please pass this message on to others that you think would be interested.
Hope to see you Monday!

-Kristina
--
Kristina Williams, News Media Coordinator
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center <http://ucimc.org>