[Imc-members] PETITION FOR WRFU: please sign!

Tatyana Safronova tsafro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 21:01:59 CST 2011

Hi, all. My name is Tatyana and I'm a WRFU volunteer. This coming Thursday,
March 10th, WRFU will go before the Plan Commission in Urbana to make our
case for getting a 100-foot tower. A higher tower will allow WRFU to
broadcast further and reach more listeners in the area! This will allow the
IMC to have a greater reach into the community too. Please sign the petition
at the bottom (letter is pasted below and attached), include an optional
message about your working group and your projects at the IMC, and write an
optional personal message about why *you* believe we need this great new
resource. After you're done, e-mail me (tsafro at gmail.com) your letters and
we'll take them to the city on Thursday. OR bring your letter and come to
the meeting yourself, so that the Commission members can see their
constituency and see that people are watching and really care about this
cause.

What: *Plan Commission Meeting*
When: *Thursday, March 10th, 7:30pm*
Where: *Urbana City Building (across Vine street from Lincoln Square Mall:
map<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=400+South+Vine+Street,+Urbana,+IL&aq=&sll=40.110901,-88.201504&sspn=0.016837,0.042272&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=400+S+Vine+St,+Urbana,+Champaign,+Illinois+61801&ll=40.109785,-88.204744&spn=0.008829,0.021136&z=16>
) *

This is the most important issue for WRFU now. PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION AND
BE THERE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT.* You don't need to speak. THANK YOU!

*Note: AmeriCorps members can't sign these letters, but can
most definitely show up to the meeting!

*LETTER*
Hello. I am one of more than 1200 volunteers at the Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center and I am writing you to show my support for the new
100-foot radio tower for our radio station, WRFU.

(Optional message about your working group or your projects)

WRFU is a community radio station which broadcasts the voices of the people
in Urbana. Forty-six volunteers host weekly shows about topics as varied as
Native American and Latino issues, politics, blues, children’s literature,
and sports. Our syndicated shows include the widely popular news show
Democracy Now! among others and programming in Spanish. Most importantly,
however, this station allows anyone in the community to get involved and
start his or her own show, whether they have experience or not. It’s an
invaluable training resource, as well as a way for people in the community
to learn about each other and the issues that matter to us all.

With the new tower, we will reach further into the community allowing more
people the opportunity to learn about their neighbors and to have a locally
controlled media outlet for their voices. We are promoting public discussion
and dialogue, as well as artistic and political expression, and believe that
a more widespread reach of this community resource will allow WRFU to
empower more local citizens with the tools to impact their own lives and the
lives of others in Urbana.

Please consider our mission and the benefits it will bring to our community
and vote in support of the new tower.

--
Tatyana Safronova

Interview Radio Show Host, "The Big Boom," bigboomcu.wordpress.com
Blogger, A Continental Drift, acontinentaldrift.blogspot.com
tsafro at gmail.com
(224) 828 3442

"An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind." - Mahatma Gandhi