[Imc-members] IMC Facilities standing committee, Jan 2012 update

Chris Ritzo chris.ritzo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:26:09 CST 2012

Greetings!

This update is the first monthly communication of our committee to IMC
members, affiliated organizations and IMC working groups,
in an effort to encourage broad participation and transparency in the
decisions affecting the IMC Facilities. This initial email introduces the
Facilities Committee as a resource for you and your group or organization.
In future emails, I'll report on key issues that the Facilities Committee
is working on.

*What is the Facilities Standing Committee?*
The IMC Facilities standing committee is one of three committees formed by
the IMC Board of Directors. The other two standing committees are
Fundraising/Finance and Personnel. I'm currently the chair of the
Facilities Standing committee, and along with committee members Martel
Miller and Leon McGee, and the IMC Operations Manager, Carol Ammons, we are
responsible for prioritizing the needs of the IMC building. Last year at
the IMC's General Membership Meeting, a new Board of Directors was elected
and empowered to help move our organization forward. Your participation is
welcome at our weekly meetings, Tuesdays from 12-1pm on the first floor of
the IMC.

*What does the Facilities committee do?
*Any issue regarding the maintenance and long-term modifications to the IMC
building are discussed and dealt with by the Facilities committee. For
example, we're currently working on several issues such as heating and
cooling issues, electrical and lighting upgrades, and several project that
will make our facility more compliant with city building codes. We review
building maintenance requests, solicit contractor bids for board approved
projects, and ensure to the best of our ability that the facility is
cleaned and safe. As you can imagine, there are a host of issues relating
to the building and a big part of what we are doing now is producing a
long-term plan for upgrades to our building and grounds.

*How should building issues be reported?*
If there is a problem you notice with the IMC building, the Facilities
committee and the IMC staff should be your point of contact. You may
certainly report issues directly to our staff during business hours. Carol
Ammons is our Operations Manager and Leon McGee is our current Americorps
Member Building Manager. There is also a form on the IMC website which you
can use to report any building issue. Under "Our Building", click on
"Building Request Form". (http://ucimc.org/content/imc-building-request-form
)

*What should be requested or reported?*
Any problem with the building, security concerns, requests for painting or
cleaning, any construction, lighting additions or other permanent or
semi-permanent modifications to the building.

As the Facilities Committee chair, I welcome your input into concerns about
our building and would be happy to meet with individuals, working groups,
or affiliated organizations. I'm pleased that the standing committees are
bringing needed structure, accountability and transparency to the decisions
affecting those of us who use the IMC facilities for our media creation,
artistic and creative endeavors, and community organizing & activism.

Sincerely,
Chris Ritzo, IMC Facilities Committee chair & Board Member