[Imc-members] Illinois Public Media Presents: Community Cinema: "The New Black"

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Tue May 27 17:40:20 EDT 2014

Greetings!

Come to our free Community Cinema screening and discussion centering on the
historic fight to win marriage equality in Maryland. *The New Black* takes
viewers into the pews, the streets, and kitchen tables as it looks at how
the African American community grapples with the divisive gay rights issue.

*The New Black* documents activists, families and clergy on both sides of
the campaign to legalize gay marriage and examines homophobia in the black
community’s institutional pillar — the black church — and reveals the
Christian right wing’s strategy of exploiting this phenomenon in order to
pursue an anti-gay political agenda.

The film takes viewers into the pews and onto the streets and provides a
seat at the kitchen table as it tells the story of the historic fight to
win marriage equality in Maryland, charting the evolution of this divisive
issue within the black community.

Confirmed discussion panelists are* Kevin Mumford, professor, University of
Illinois Department of History*; and *Carla Hunter, assistant professor, U
of I Department of Psychology*. The discussion will be facilitated by
WILL's Sean Powers.

*Here's a trailer for the film:*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ri6WgWob8k