[Imc-midwest-regional] Re: FW: [IMC-Process] Where we at?

Biodun Iginla biginla at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 04:35:51 CDT 2001

Postings below apply to people on this list as well.

Tall Tom: I've met you only once, when we worked the
IMC table at the Ralph Nader rally I covered. Just
what has changed your opinion of me since you posted
to the TC-IMC in March (when things were coming down)
that you found me to be "a committed activist"? You
hardly know me at all. At least, spell my last name
correctly if you post next time.

--- Biodun Iginla <biginla at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >the roll call or contributed the development or
> work on this list.
>

> Hey Bio:
>
> Your name is still coming up on IndyMedia lists. You
> might want to do
> something about that.
>

> Hey IndyMedia Folks:
>
> Now I'm getting really pissed. I vacated the
> IndyMedia collective and listservs months and months
> ago, yet my name is still appearing on these lists.
> I'm temporarily subscribed to send this message,
> then I'll unsubscribe again.
>
> I now work in corporate media, where I started out,
> and to where I've retreated after my bitter
> experiences at IndyMedia. In corporate media my work
> is respected and valued, and at least I know who my
> friends are. All of them are not hypocrites
> pretending to be anarchists and anti-racists.
> They're actually "behind enemy lines," so to speak,
> doing some real work for social justice, and
> actually exposing events that had been underreported
> and also doing their best to highlight issues being
> debated within activist organizations. I'll give you
> a concrete example:
>
> Last May, during the May Day protests in
> Minneapolis, IndyMedia activists posted a complaint
> in the IndyMedia newswire that corporate media
> completely ignored the protests--a complaint I'd
> heard repeated ad nauseam the few inane collective
> meetings I attended when I was wasting my time with
> IndyMedia. This particular complaint was far from
> accurate. This is what I witnessed myself at the May
> Day protest in downtown Minneapolis: A Channel 5
> (ABC affiliate) reporter with a mike and a
> camera-person approached an "activist," wanting her
> to talk about the demonstration, to provide her
> perspective. The "activist" simply dismissed this
> reporter and said: "I don't want to talk to you. We
> have our own media." (By which she meant IndyMedia,
> whose own "reporters" were milling about with press
> passes that won't get them through any secured press
> conferences in any continent on the planet.)
>
> This incident reflects well the "culture" of
> IndyMedia.
>
> You people flatter yourself if you think I give a
> rat's ass about what's going on at IndyMedia or even
> have the time to find out what's going on. If
> Kathleen (a former colleague in the mid-80s in New
> York corporate media) hasn't bothered to introduce
> herself, that's her prerogative.
>
> A lawsuit is pending against Christopher Mitchell of
> the Twin Cities IMC for maligning me on this list:
> It's simply delayed because he doesn't have any
> money yet. Acts like his should no longer go
> unpunished. If my name comes up again in a negative
> way, I swear I'll have to take legal action. This is
> serious business. Some of us are not in Kansas--or
> in school--anymore. Some of these postings with my
> name in it have the potential to be harmful, since
> what I do is public. Therefore, there will be legal
> consequences if these practices persist. I mean it.

=====
Biodun Iginla
Writer, Author, News Analyst
e-mail: biginla at email.com