[Imc-newsroom] methadone clinic proposal mtg

Molly Stentz molly at onthejob.net
Thu Apr 5 11:30:31 CDT 2001

Yes, this has been a rather heated issue lately. There is a proposal to
site a methadone clinic in downtown Champaign to help treat recovering
drug addicts. There has been recent public outcry against it from people
that live in the nearby Sesquintennial neighborhood, who cite worries
about increased crime, decreased property values, and their childrens'
safety. Seems like the same debate as when the Times Center moved
Downtown. Proponents say there is evidence that similar clinics in
Kankakee and Decatur haven't caused the things people are concerned about
and that there is a community need.

At first glance it seems to be an example of citizen organizing that looks
more like NIMBYism than positive social change, but I don't know a whole
lot about the issue nor do I live in Champaign.

I would like to cover it but am still pretty fried from the elections. Can
anyone else go? I would guess primarily to get audio, a short write-up,
maybe pictures.

Bill, if you are going to be there, can you write a short wrap-up on the
tone and content of the meeting? Just in case we can't make it over there;
we are a bit shortstaffed right now. You can email it to us or post
directly to the website at
http://urbana.indymedia.org/active/news/publish.php3

We can also provide you with a minidisc and all the audio recording
equipment that you need if you can record it. We can then edit out some
clips to play on WEFT. If you can't be there, please pass our offer on to
anyone you know who might be going.  We need more citizen reporters!

Thanks!
--Molly