[Imc-newsroom] natural gas for automibles

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 23 18:39:48 CDT 2001

Comments interspersed below.
Mike Lehman

AAE101 at cs.com wrote:

>     As an alternative feul for cars,natural gas. Questions: is natural gas a
> thing of nature. does it replenish itself?
It is a natural, but is not considered to be a renewable resource since
it's a fossil fuel. It usually is found under pressure in the upper
parts of underground areas where oil is found. Those flames you might
have seen being burnt off in oil fields are excess natural gas. It was
often just burnt off in the past, since it had a limited market. Now it
is worth $$.

> Why does the large petro company's
> own most of the reserves of natural gas?
Same reason as above. They find it looking for oil.

> Why does the E.P.A. put such tight
> controls on conversion kits?
For cars, because changing to natural gas requires changes in the fuel
system. The combination still must meet EPA regs. You don't want it to
be dirtier, right?

> Is the E.P.A. our freind or is it big
> bussiness's?
The EPA has been effectively hobbled by business interests for the last
two decades. Things will only get worse with Bush II. The staff at the
EPA are often good folks. The problem is the leadership, which means
they are products of the priorities of whoever has bought the Whitehouse
this time.

> Is their a good reason for the price increase on natural gas?
It is used to heat homes. The price will always be higher in the winter,
due to incereased demand for heating. There is also the factor that when
prices are generally high for oil, it causes the prices of other fossil
fuels to rise also.

> Would natural gas used in autos solve the green house gas problem?
I don't know what the net effect of this on CO2 and other greenshouse
gasses would be.

> Is there
> anyone brave enough to do an in depth study and report on this?
No need to be brave, but it will take some digging. You might ask a
librarian to direct you to info if you are interested.

> Would it be
> wrong to put a cap on price goughing?
Hey, that's what they call Free Trade right?
I think we're all screwed based on recent events in Quebec. That stuff
is not about what's fair for consumers. It's about screwing consumers
and polluting the environment in search of fat profits.

> Would it be bad if the working class
> got a win fall profit for using natural gas in their cars at year 1999
> prices?
Same answer as last question.

> Will it cause the worker of the U.S.A. to be bad workers because they
> have a few bucks in their pockets?
Workers are OK. They just have to realize they need to quit electing the
same old turkeys if they want a change.

>     Brave new world by Huxley, is this where we are going?
Bonus Answer: Who was President in 1984?
Been there, done that, still need a revolution.