[Imc-newsroom] queer rights headline

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Mon Aug 27 13:43:57 CDT 2001

Here's a headline for today's show.
I am also submitting this (with a few edits) to Free Speech Radio News

GAY RIGHTS ACTIVISTS SCHEDULED FOR TRIAL THIS WEDNESDAY IN SPRINGFIELD

Five gay rights activists who were arrested in the capitol May 9 will are
scheduled for trial in Springfield this Wednesday on the charge of
criminal trespass to state supported land.

On May 9, members of the 85% Coalition attended a public hearing before
the Senate Executive Committee of House Bill 101.  House Bill 101, which
amends the Illinois Human Rights Act to include sexual orientation, passed
in the House in April.  During the public hearing, sponsors of the gay
rights bill pulled it from public debate, fearing that it would die in the
Senate Executive Committee.  After the announcement that the bill would
not be heard, the activists marched to the front of the hearing room,
faced the committee, and chanted, "No, no, we won¹t go, until we have
equality" and "We¹re you¹re daughters, we¹re your sons, pass House Bill
101."  Within seconds, they were flanked by Secretary of State police
officers, escorted out of the room, and arrested. The charge of criminal
trespass to state supported land carries a maximum penalty of 364 days in
jail and $2500 fine.

"Regardless of the outcome on Wednesday, we have vowed to continue to
protest until queer people have equal access to employment, public
accommodations, housing, and  credit which is what HB 101 would provide,"
said Kim Kranich, one of the arrestees.

Since 1997, bills similar to HB 101 have been introduced into the
legislature and failed every time.  House Bill 101 now sits in the Senate
Rules Committee awaiting assignment to another committee.  Sponsors of the
bill are hoping it will move it to a committee where it would have a
chance of being sent on to the Senate.

The 85 % Coalition is a direct action group seeking civil rights of gay,
lesbian, and transgender people in Illinois.  They take their name from a
statewide survey by the University of Illinois which indicates that 85% of
Illinois residents support equal rights for gays and lesbians.   85%
Coalition members have been demonstrating in the capitol for gay rights
legislation since November of 1999.

submitted by IMC reporter Danielle Chynoweth