[Imc-newsroom] 85% coalition trial on free speech radio news today at 5, WEFT 90.1 FM

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Tue Aug 28 13:31:29 CDT 2001

Here's a example headline.  All you have to do is call a headline in to
Randi Zimmerman by 11:30 AM on the day you want it to air.  She will
record it over the telephone.  It needs to be less than a minute long
(about 5 sentences).  Her number is 813-238-8001.  She's really nice.

danielle

Five gay rights activists, who were arrested in the Illinois capitol May
9, are scheduled for trial this Wednesday on the charge of criminal
trespass to state supported land.

On May 9, members of the organization, the 85% Coalition, attended a
public hearing before the Senate Executive Committee concerning a bill to
amend the Illinois Human Rights Act to include sexual orientation and
gender identity.  The bill passed the House in April, but has stalled in
the Senate.  During the public hearing, the bill was pulled from debate,
at which point activists marched to the front of the hearing room, faced
the committee, and chanted, "No, no, we won¹t go, until we have equality"
and "We¹re you¹re daughters, we¹re your sons, pass House Bill 101."

Five were arrested and face a maximum penalty of three hundred sixty four
days in jail and a twenty five hundred dollar fine.

Gay rights activists have vowed to continue to protest until they have
equal rights in the state of Illinois.

This is Danielle Chynoweth of the Urbana Independent Media Center for Free
Speech Radio News.