[Imc-newsroom] press release

Benjamin Grosser grosser at hera.itg.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 14 23:42:35 CST 2001

Additional information, and images of the some of the paintings referred
to in the following release are available at:

   http://www.itg.uiuc.edu/people/grosser/

thanks!

ben

----

                                  PRESS RELEASE

Contact: Benjamin Grosser				For Immediate Release
         217-384-5289
         grosser at uiuc.edu

    Local Composer and Artist to Exhibit New Paintings in Downtown Urbana

Artist Benjamin Grosser will be exhibiting paintings at Sandwich Boy,
212 W. Main St. in downtown Urbana, from March 10 through April 6.
This event marks the first time Mr. Grosser, a well-known local composer,
has publicly exhibited his visual art.  An opening reception will be held
at Sandwich Boy from 6 to 8:30 p.m., on Saturday, March 24.  The public
is invited.

Grosser's works are abstract in content, and his primary medium is oil
on canvas.  Composer, writer, and colleague Rick Burkhardt states:

   The colors and shapes in Benjamin Grosser's paintings haunt each other,
   provoke and defy each other: red reinvents blue, and circles convince
   you they are squares.  Rude clarities turn mysterious.  Even light has
   its own intelligence, spilling selectively over the players from
   unthinkable sources.  Tiny specks infest large slabs--or is it the
   other way around?  When I look at these paintings I change my mind
   ten times.  Are there two circles or three hundred?  Are there any
   circles?  What color are they?  Certainties and mysteries go hand in
   hand, and everything glows, often in secret.  From within those secrets
   these paintings reward long looks.

Grosser grew up in Champaign-Urbana.  He received bachelor's and master's
degrees in music composition from the University of Illinois, where he
studied with Salvatore Martirano and Zack Browning.  Grosser has been
active as a composer of both acoustic and computer-generated music, and
has produced numerous concerts over the last decade.

In addition to local performances through the U of I School of Music,
Grosser has had many performances around the world--most recently at the
ThreeTwo New Music Festival, held in New York City last October.

Grosser's music has been called "very loud and ugly" by the St. Louis
Riverfront Times, and he has been referred to as "an accomplished painter
of large canvases" by Art Calendar Magazine.

Grosser is manager of the Visualization, Media and Imaging Laboratory at
the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University
of Illinois.

                                     ###

Editor's Note:

Members of the media are invited to preview artwork to be included in the
show, and to interview the artist by contacting him directly.  High-quality
slides and/or scans of the artwork are available.