[Imc-newsroom] news group notes 6.3.01

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at onthejob.net
Sun Jun 3 14:52:50 CDT 2001

IMC NewsGroup 6.3.01

ATTENDEES:
Present: Omar Ricks (facilitator), Peter Miller (secretary), Danielle
Chynoweth (notetaker), Maria Silva, Mark Enslin, Sehvilla Mann, Steven
(new, heard about UC-IMC from UK indymedia site), Molly Stentz, Sascha
Meinrath, Scott Smith

IMC NEWS HOUR:
 - Sehvilla and Molly - story on biotech surrounded by pieces of this
week's biotech news.
NEED HEADLINES AND SMALL FEATURES by 6 pm tonight

Story about Nuclear Energy by Barbara Dyskant needs editing.
Mark E -- update on the 85% coalition
Omar - Cincinnati
Peter - contract settlement for faculty at Roosevelt University
Paul K - short piece on redwoods in california
Peter - Prairierivers report on clean water in Illinois
Omar - COPS in schools interview
Danielle - FTAA report back

Cybernetics group - possible show for June 18 or 25th.

OLD NEWS:
Last week's newshour was really tight and well produced.  5 pre-produced
audio pieces - Cop in Urbana schools, biotech, Cincinnati protests.

FTAA report back - danielle

NEW NEWS:
Community and family activity center in Champaign - meeting this past week
- Sascha, Mark

Conditions of Mexican workers in the area - one story lead so far:
activities in a factory in Paxton - Maria, Omar, Steven, Mark

Report on other news in the area - local counterspin/media watch--"filling
in the gaps" segment - Molly, Mike Lehman (?), Eric Sizemore

Walmart Rally - "Voice at Work Week" sponsored by the local labor
council/AFL-CIO - Sat, June 9 at 9 am - noon (meet at IMC @ 8:30 AM for a
ride) - Peter, Omar, Sehvilla, et al.

Alternative Energy Fair in Amherst Wisconsin - Molly,  Mann family, MarkE
- will record all talk, gather shorts for Life in the Bike Lane, and
gather content for an IMCNewsHour feature

Bellflower Dairy - meet at IMC 7 PM Wednesday June 6.

Rantoul has been bidding for a Slaughterhouse to open there - media not
running opposing voices - no talk about dangers of bacteria and infection
in the water system
Connected to: Sanitary District is expecting the slaughterhouse and
planning for expansion.  Locals need to be involved in the decision making
process.  Wed 7 PM at Water Treatment Facility - 1100 east university -
Scott will write a wrap on the meeting
Decisions about Sanitary District greatly affect issues of sprawl and
growth.
Connected to: Situation of Mexican workers locally
BIG STORY

Should we have our own news calendar - or a way of marking the events we
plan on covering?

WEFT - IMC relationship
We should come up with a proposal which includes: 1) what we can commit to
2) our expectations about compensation.  MarkE will put together a
proposal.

Ideas:
- weekly biotech hour - local and national focus
- become editors for A-INFOS, Radio4all, Sydney sites and produce a show
with these
- Take a few weeks where we build structure rather than producing news so
our news production is sustainable over time: training, templating,
production room woes.

MarkE will facilitate next meeting.