[Imc-newsroom] the value of summary

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 7 15:19:59 CDT 2001

Hey Newsies,

I've been noticing a lot of postings about the treatment of arrested
protestors in Cinci since last weekend.  It would be great for us to
feature something on it on our front page, but just putting up all the
links I reckon is only so useful, since it requires the reader to try and
follow everything--which is not necessarily that easy.

It would probably be more valuable if we put up a summary that refers back
to each article--puts all these situations in some kind of context that can
be read in one shot, with links for those who want to read the original posts.

Does anyone want to take a shot at this?

In general I think this would be a good tactic for making some stories and
ongoing stories more accessible to our readers.  Ongoing coverage is where
the Indymedia network really shines, but the downfall is that the coverage
tends to be dispersed and not-too-linear, meaning that you have to be
invested to follow a story.  I think we can add real value to the network
by giving that context and packaging.

An example of such would be the article that Gina and I wrote on the
FTAA:  http://urbana.indymedia.org/active/news/ftaa.php3

Thoughts?  Comments?  Volunteers?

--Paul