[Imc-newsroom] Batten Award -- Deadline February 8, 2002

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 26 12:30:11 CST 2001

I've talked a lot about how people have been interested in the work
of the UCIMC and wanting to give us money.  I recently received an e-mail
from the PEW center requesting that we look into the Batten Award.

The Batten is a award for civic journalism that I think the UCIMC would
definitely be in the running for.  The award also gives $25,000 to the
winner (or winners as it can be split between more than one entry).  2001
has been an incredible year for the UCIMC and I think we could put
together an amazing application.

We've published online, over radio, in print, and perhaps on TV (by the
end of the year) -- thus covering EVERY area of the award.  If you are
interested in coordinating this effort please e-mail the group.  I've
cc-ed the newsroom and print groups since I expect that this would
probably be coordinated by a member of one (or both) working groups.

Let me know,

--Sascha

CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2002 BATTEN AWARDS
Did you produce an exemplary piece of civic journalism in 2001?
Compete for $25,000 in awards and the prestigious showcasing of your
work at the 2002 Batten Awards and Symposium. Deadline for entries:
February 8, 2002. http://www.pewcenter.org/batten/enter.html