[Imc-newsroom] Re: [UCIMC-print] Batten Award -- Deadline February 8, 2002

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Mon Nov 26 15:34:15 CST 2001

At 12:30 PM 11/26/2001 -0600, Sascha Meinrath wrote:

>I've talked a lot about how people have been interested in the work
>of the UCIMC and wanting to give us money.  I recently received an e-mail
>from the PEW center requesting that we look into the Batten Award.
>
>The Batten is a award for civic journalism that I think the UCIMC would
>definitely be in the running for.  The award also gives $25,000 to the
>winner (or winners as it can be split between more than one entry).  2001
>has been an incredible year for the UCIMC and I think we could put
>together an amazing application.
>
>We've published online, over radio, in print, and perhaps on TV (by the
>end of the year) -- thus covering EVERY area of the award.  If you are
>interested in coordinating this effort please e-mail the group.  I've
>cc-ed the newsroom and print groups since I expect that this would
>probably be coordinated by a member of one (or both) working groups.
>
>Let me know,
>
>--Sascha
>
>CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2002 BATTEN AWARDS
>Did you produce an exemplary piece of civic journalism in 2001?
>Compete for $25,000 in awards and the prestigious showcasing of your
>work at the 2002 Batten Awards and Symposium. Deadline for entries:
>February 8, 2002. http://www.pewcenter.org/batten/enter.html

This looks exciting.  I'm curious, though....this isn't just for Indymedia,
is it?  Wouldn't we competing against the likes of the New York Times and
the Wall Street Journal and CNN and NPR and so on?

Also, is this award given on the basis of just one article or series of
articles, as the Pulitzer Prize is?  Or would we perhaps qualify by virtue
of our overall contribution to civic journalism in our community?

I think the first step would be to take a look at the complete rules of the
Batten Awards.  Where might they be found?

John