[Imc-newsroom] newsgroup minutes 9/30

mark enslin enslin at prairienet.org
Wed Oct 3 17:36:23 CDT 2001

Here are such notes as I got this Sunday. If anyone has anything to add,
please do so.

UC-IMC news group meeting minutes 9/30/01

Attending: Andy T (facilitating), Danielle C, Michael F, Molly S, Avram G-T,
Matt from St Louis, Mark E (recording)

The 10/1 newshour: Danielle is producing; there will be four focus pieces:
an interview with Father Roy Bourgeouis by Dan Chambers; an interview in the
street with members of Ladies Against War by Paul Kotheimer; a report on the
demonstrations in Washington DC over the weekend by Pauline Bartolone, and
phone interviews with activists in DC by Paul K on "homefront security".
Danielle is planning on programming a 50-minute show to accommodate WEFT's
fall pledge drive.

Seeing that the WEFT Programming Committee replaced the Monday Free Speech
Radio News in order to schedule the UC-IMC newshour, and that the decision
remains somewhat controversial, Danielle suggests the newshour begin with
the approximately 5-minute headlines segment of Free Speech Radio News
before headlines by the UC-IMC. This is met with general agreement. Molly
suggests if we produce international headlines, we send them to FSRN.

Stories in progress: Avram mentions a planned Day Against Police Brutality,
Oct 22.
Avram will tape the presentation by Jose Lopez at the Peace Resource and
Action Cooperative annual fundraising dinner at the Illinois Disciples
Foundation this Saturday.
Some discussion of update on attempts to add a clause on oil drilling in the
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge onto a military appropriation bill.

Molly announces that there is a Nigerian IMC that is just forming, mainly
with members of environmental groups there, and that they need technical and
financial help. Molly would like the UC-IMC to help in sending some
computers the group. She suggests a fundraising party at the IMC. During the
Regional IMC meeting the weekend of October 18? Find out if there are any
local Nigerians who would be interested in helping out in some way?