[Imc-newsroom] Re: U-C IMC Radio News

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 12 16:27:04 CDT 2001

Hi Mr,
Thanks for the kind comments about our radio people, who put on the IMC
Newshour on Mondays on our local community radio station, WEFT 90.1 FM.
We are in the process of trying to put up much more of the news program
as MP.3s on the U-C IMC website. Check back and it should be there in
the near future.

We have some people looking into running video on the local cable public
access channel. Since we are a relatively small city, we are always
streched for resources and personnel and it hasn't quite jelled yet, but
I think it is just a matter of time.

When we were looking for space for the IMC here, a location for a studio
to feed whatever LPFM came about was important to us. We have the space
now, but it looks like it may be awhile before we get a license for a
radio station. A number of people involved in the IMC also have
extensive experience on WEFT, so it would definitely be a great success
if it ever happens.

Locally, there are also people interested in pirate radio who have
experience. Those of us who have license apps for LPFM in are willing to
let the legal process take its course, but if the public ends up shut
out from access to OUR PUBLIC airwaves, it is not going to be that much
trouble for many people to simply say "Screw the FCC/NAB/NPR-we want
access to what WE own!"

Thanks again for your kind comments. I'll be forwarding a copy of this
to the radio news team, as I'm sure they'll be happy to hear that they
are appreciated far beyond the local area.
Mike Lehman