[Imc-newsroom] Audio Editing & Tech

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 19 19:11:57 CDT 2001

We now have a new very fast and powerful audio editing workstation in the
Production Room.  This machine is hooked up to easily play and record from
Minidisc, Cassettes, a Microphone and audio from the Back
Room.  Instructions for doing this are on the desktop and will soon be on
hardcopy.

IMC Tech hopes that most of the IMC's audio production can be done on this
machine, instead of Sergei.  Sergei can then be used for overflow when
someone is already using the audio production machine, and for video.

I am personally willing to give *anyone* a short tutorial in how to use
this setup for producing audio for the Newshour, Bike Lane, or any  other
program.  This tutorial is for anyone who does not know how to use the new
setup.  I can't give a full-on tutorial on audio production--Paul Kotheimer
is the guy to ask for that--but I can get you started.

Please e-mail me to set up a time--evenings and weekends are best.

I am also personally willing to maintain this machine and make sure that it
is working properly.

In return I ask the following:
*If you don't know how to use something, ask Tech for help.  Don't rewire
it, don't assume it's broken.
*If there is a source you want to use but isn't hooked up, please ASK me or
Brian Hagy for help.
*I prefer that unless you're a member of TECH that you don't rewire things,
but if you do PUT THEM BACK.  If you don't put them back, then the machine
is USELESS to others, and makes more work for TECH (and makes me cranky).
*Think ahead about projects you need to do.  Don't wait until Sunday night
to learn how to use the audio editing machine for Monday's Newshour.  Tech
is not an on-call 24-hr-a-day service.
*If you have a problem or a question, please ask IMC Tech or me.  Do not
complain until you've actually asked for help.
*If there is something that you'd like to be able to do with the audio
editing machine, please ask.

The small but dedicated Tech group does actually work pretty hard to keep
things running.  Please help us.

Thanks,

Paul