[Imc-newsroom] spam & global indymedia

L. Orion Weill orion at isenonline.org
Wed Apr 10 12:00:43 CDT 2002

Charles,

I am, similarly, just another voice in this collective. As you seem
to be soliciting the opinion of multiple people, I thought I would
add my thoughts for consideration. I receive the daily digest for IMC
lists, so I apologize if there has been dialogue since the last email
I received.

I commend you for your willingness to scale back the number of posts
that you submit for our "higher purpose". I would like to reiterate
Sascha's suggestion regarding cross postings to multiple IMC's. As
you noted, submitted articles tend to only stay posted on the front
page for several hours before being pushed  onto a back page. In
addition to, hopefully, being due to the increasing popularity of
global indymedia and local IMC's, it is in large part due to the
crosspostings to multiple websites by authors, understably so,
wanting to get their messages out.

My personal vision of local IMC's is to allow for the empowerment of
local activists and concerned individuals who typcially have no
access to a forum which allows them to voice those concerns.
Consequently, I believe crosspostings to have the potential to
jeopardize the access provided by local IMC's that is important to
its existence. That is why I, similarly, would like to reemphasize
why submitting your posts to global indymedia may make more sense,
not only to uphold the goals that local IMC's strive for, but as a
benefit to you personally. Those wishing to view your posts will have
equal access to them through the global indymedia site, and, in fact,
might actually increase your readership for those who DO view your
posts as spam, thus avoiding them. Similarly, many individuals access
local IMC's through the global indymedia site, thus having access to
your posts sooner. I offer these suggestions as food for thought, a
possible solution that I believe to ultimately benefit both UCIMC and
you personally. Thank you for your willingness to contribute your
opinions and be receptive to our suggestions.

Respectfully submitted,
Orion

--
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"
		---Krishnamurti---