[Imc-newsroom] misquote

OvRlord103 at aol.com OvRlord103 at aol.com
Wed Aug 28 19:56:46 CDT 2002

       I found my way to your site recently, and in scanning the
"Perspectives On Terror Tuesday" article, I spotted a quote that had been
erroneously misquoted. The misquote follows, in this passage:

         Back then the proponents of the war had their slogans. One of them
was "Right or wrong, my country!" Those of us who took the trouble to
research the origins of the slogan discovered, however, that it had been
taken out of context. The full text of the original statement read instead:
"Right or wrong, my country. If it's right, keep it right. If it's wrong,
MAKE it right."

       The "right or wrong, my country" quote was originally a toast given by
19th century U.S. Naval Officer Stephen Decatur, and proceeded thus:

       "To our Country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she
always be in the right, but our country, right or wrong!"

    I do not know if the addition, "If it's right, keep it right. If it's
wrong, MAKE it right," made on your website was deliberately written in to
mislead readers as to the original spirit of the words, or if it was an
honest mistake, but either way, try to be more careful when restating the
words of famous American heroes.