[Imc-newsroom] MoJo up and working

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 21 22:52:54 CST 2002

MoJo was set up and configured this evening with our new mixer.  I wrote up
a set of instructions which are in the front of the IMC News Brain Book
which currently sits on the shelf above MoJo.  These instructions cover how
to record to MoJo from MD, cassette or microphone, and how to record back
from MoJo to Minidisc.

I can write up other instructions or give personal demos as needed.  The
best time for me to give personal demos is after Tech, 7pm on Weds, and
during my staff shift, Mon 7-9pm.

A couple of notes before you dive in:

- If you switch cables I just might kill you.  Leave everything plugged
in.  If you switch cables in an attempt to fix something, you're probably
making it worse. There is no reason to switch cables, except to piss me off.
- There is no need to use the Creative Mixer or any other mixer application
on the computer.  Everything has been set to work for all possible
needs.  I took the Creative Mixer out of the system tray just to take away
the temptation.  Don't mess with it unless you want to screw it up for
everyone else.
- There are lots of little dials and buttons on the mixer.  If you don't
know what it does and it's not covered in the instructions then don't touch
it. You don't need it and messing with it will just screw things up for
everyone.
-Right now Sergei cannot record from or to the Minidisc deck -- we need to
get a longer cable, we'll let you know when it's ready to go.

If you have a problem with something you can e-mail me or call me (as long
as it's a reasonable hour) -- my phone number is on the bulletin board.  I
can't guarantee I'll be able to respond immediately, but I'll try to look
at it within a day or two (a good reason not to leave things to the last
minute, eh?).  Brian H. can probably help out, too, if he wishes to be
helpful.  Remember, as of 10:00 PM 1-21-02 MoJo is doing everything fine
and has withstood a number of stress tests.  Aside from the occasional
system crash everything should be working fine if you follow the
instructions.  If it isn't working fine, then more than likely somebody
messed with something they shouldn't have, and that's not my fault.

Have fun.

--Paul