[Imc-newsroom] First check in from Costa Rica

Pauline Bartolone paulinebartolone at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 12:18:13 CST 2002

Hi Gang!

This has been a great and productive week, and I want to fill you in on some
interviews I did that you guys could use.

I am producing for something called Global Community Forum, which airs on
Wednesdays on RFPI. We do a 6 hour loop in programming, to accomodate
international listeners and their time zones. So you can hear it once at
2:30pm, 8:30pm, 2:30am Thursday, then again at 8:30am on Thursday. We have a
live feed on our website, www.rfpi.org, so you can catch the show there at
those times, by using realplayer or winamp, etc.

I produced two shows this week that I thought you may be interested in. We
are doing an exchange with US magazines where they are putting an ad for our
peace studies program, and we are giving them interviews to "promote" their
magazines:

Matthew Rothchild Editor of the Progressive Magazine: Exactly 29:30min long.
I asked him logistical questions about The Progressive, its mission as a
news source. Then we talked about what Rothchild calls "Bush's permanent
War", his own personal ideas as to Bush's true motivations, the New
McCarthyism (including an overview of cases of censorship since 9/11) and
general coverage about of the left in media and in The Progressive since
9/11. Rothchild is obviously a very eloquent and concise speaker, its a
pretty interesting interview.

Venues: IMC radio News, Mediageek...

Jim Cullen, editor of "The Progressive Populist": ~24min, I will add music
to have it fit the half hour time slot.
The progressive populist is a biweekly midwest based magazine covering
issues important to workers and small buisness owners.
Jim wrote an editorial about the state of broadcast media and answered
questions about the Fairness doctrine, how the Communications Act of 1934
was transformed in 1996 (allowing Co.'s to own up to 30% of broadcast media)
and the Toricelli Ammendment. He also goes into his "prescription for media
reform" which is interesting. The first part is kind of boring because its
just about logistical stuff about the mag.

Venues: Labor hour (because it's about worker's issues), IMC radio news.

Anyway, I hope you can use this stuff. I could mp3 it and post it to the
site, if you want. Just let me know what you are interested in.

Hope you all are well,
Pauline