[Imc-newsroom] headline

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Sat Mar 9 10:28:01 CST 2002

I wrote it, but I'm not going to use it on the Labor Hour.  Feel free to
use it for the newshour.
-Peter

Bush Ag Appointment Cheated Government

George W. Bush's nominee for a top office in the department of agriculture
was charged with cheating the government out of seventeen thousand dollars
in farm subsidies.  Thomas Dorr, a nominee for undersecretary for rural
development, said that he did "nothing out of the ordinary" and that he
simply used loopholes that many farmers use to obtain government farm
subsidies.  Dorr was forced to re-pay seventeen thousand dollars to the
government after the USDA investigated his operation in 1995.  Last spring,
President George W. Bush appointed Dorr to a USDA consultant position
paying $120,000 per year.  He still awaits appointment to the
undersecretary position.