[Imc-newsroom] Shaka Shakur article

Joshua Moise moise2001 at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 12:58:36 CDT 2002

Here is the article I just put out on the case in
Gary, IN involving Shaka Shakur.  He is a former
Wisconsin Supermax inmate and political activist.  He
also spent 13 years in the Indiana prison system and
is known throughout it as a political agitator.  This
matter is urgent and unfolding as we speak and I was
hoping your Indy Media branch would consider featuring
it.  Should you take the story I have many more photo
and interviews with Shakur and his wife from a
November interview.  He is a powerful speaker and
adament revolutionary.  I also have scans of thier
separate letters, which I had trouble uploading onto
this email and the website.  Thanks....

The Article:

This is a statement made by Akili Sadiki and Shaka
Shakur regarding their targeting and imprisonment by
the gary police department.

Statement By Akili Sadiki (scribed by Shaka Shakur)

Uhuru!
        I know there has been a lot of questions
surrounding
the latest set of events i.e. the arrest of myself
Akili Sadiki-Shakur.
        On April 1, 2002 I was arrested on my job at
Purdue University-calumet.  I was charged with murder.
 The Gary Police in a bogus investigation charged me
after having previously charged my husband and son
with the same count.  All of this is due to the
erroneous
statement given by one Christina Martin.
        For those who missed the “let bail” court
hearing Christina gave a statement claiming that she
was present when the said defendant shot and killed
one
Sidney Jones.  It was noted that although Christine is
not a reliable witness, the G.P.D. did not investigate
her statement nor her background.  her statement only
came forward after the father of her child was picked
up for a drug charge and had been accused by previous
anonymous callers stating he was the killer.  It is to
be noted that he cut a deal and wll soon be on the
streets.
        In relationship to credibility the police
never mirandized Christine nor did they have her
mother sign a permission sheet for Christines
statement.  According to the testimony of Det.
Richardson the reason for this flagrant error is
because "they forgot" but frove from Gary to
Indianapolis to obtain the statement.
        It was proved on the witness stand that
Christine was lying on several occasions and was
actually impecced while on the witness stand.  Case in
point:  She stated that she was in the company of
myself and Geometry (my son) from 11:00am until 9:30
that night.
This is stated in her deposition, what was proven in
court was geometry was at work from 5:00pm until
almost 9:00am the following day.  hat in itself should
be enough to show she is an unreliable witness.  She
claims she's known me for at least four years.  I just
met her last year.  She states I held her against her
will but never once did I restrain her nor state that
she was not free to leave.  The lies go on and on.
She saw Shaka shoot Sidney on Utah street then it was
on Idaho street then it was back on Utah.  All of this
and more proved to all that witnessed her testimony
and the states that this case is bogus.
        To quote Judge Stefaniak in his scathing
criticism of the Gary Police and prosecution during
the hearing "Dyer and Hammond police investigates a
D.U.I. more throughlly than Gary Police investigates a
murder.  I do not know why the prosecution continues
to accept
these cases from the Gary Police Dept. instead of
sending them back and making them do thier jobs."
This statement was made just prior to allowing bail to
be set for my son Geometry.
        However two days later this same judge denied
bail to myself and to shaka stating that "Although the
state has no case without Christine's statement and
although she was impeeched on the stand and proved to
be inconsistent and confused on critical points and
key
issues in her testimony that he still personally
believes that she is credible and therefore is denying
both Shaka and I a bond "forcing us to file an
emergency appeal to the appelate court.
        The question remains why?  Why do the police
and state wish to pursue this?  Because of a personal
vendetta with Shaka Shakur (who was accused of
shooting at a Gary cop in an unrelated case).  The
wish to destroy him by any means necessary!  It
matters not that they destroy his family along with
him.  Here is a prime example of a facism here at
home!  The state is willing to back a police dept.
that is renowned for thier illegal and unjust
practices.  It brings new meaning to the word "no
justice-just us!"

In Solidarity and Struggle,
Akili Sadiki-Shakur

NOTE!
        It was only after the states original case
against Shaka begun to fall apart and it became known
that Akiki was not only working very closely with his
attorney as well as spearheaded his defense did she
and her family become targets for attack bby the Gary
Police Dept.  It was also only then did they move to
frame her and Shaka on a four month old murder solely
based on the contradictory statements of a 15-year-old
girl whose whose baby father was initially considered
the primary suspect.  The state has no murder weapon,
no fingerprints, DNA, nothing and the autopsy report
contradicts her so call eyewitness account and yet
Akili remains held without bail soley based on the
statements of a 15-year-old girl who is protecting her
baby's father.

Basic Facts by Shaka Shakur:
	On January 7th 2002 I was arrested and accused with
shotting at a Gary cop.  The G.P.D. filed 5 felonies
with the most serious one being attempted murder.  The
indicident originated at a location where my 18 year
old son had been murdered 5 months earlier.
	My bond was $105,000 property and $10,500 cash.  As
we begun to organize with my wife spearheading the
organizing to rasing my bond, the state stepped up its
attacks and begun sending threats that if I bond out I
was a dead man.
	The week I am to bond out (we raised the $10,500) we
discover that the federal authorities have filed a
federal complaint back dated it and placed a "hold" on
me.  So that if I bond out I would be turned over to
the federal authorities where I am most likely to be
denied a bond altogether.
	The Federal complaint is for "ex-felon in possesion
of a irearm" but they never actually filed charges or
indicted me.  Why?  Because I am already charged with
the same thing in the state courts.  i can't be
charged with the same thing in both state and federal
court.  But the hold was/is sufficient to stop me from
bonding out.
	After we started attacking the federal hold ad the
states original case begun to unravel from overkill.
The Gary Police (G.P.D.) pulled over my step-son in
for questioning on a four-month-old murder of a
suspected police informant.  G.P.D. tried to force my
step-son into signing a statement implicating me as
the killer.  When he refused they locked him up and
charged him as a form of pressure.
	The next day as my attorney was preparing to meet
with the prosecutor in my case to discuss the
disnissal of one of these gun charges, the G.P.D. was
outside of its jusidiction in Portage, IN using a
rouse to storm my apartment without a warrant claiming
they wanted to question my wife/comrad Akili about a
murder.  They already knew that Akili worked and
attended Purdue Univ.-Calumet every morning.  After
playing cat and mouse games with her and her attorney
for several days they went on campus and arrested her.
 Went through the same routine with her as they did
Goemetry(my step-son) and after she refused to lie,
held her for 72 hours on probable cause for murder.
This was late March.
	On march 22, Goemetry and I was formally charged with
murder based soley on the false eyewitness statement
of a 15-year-old girl whose father in jail on a drug
charge was initially listed as the prime suspect.
	On April 11th Akili was re-arrested and formally
charged with murder based on the same evidence.
	On April 24th, in response to our motion for bail,
Geometry was given a $35,000 property/$3,500 cash
bond, paid it and released.  This was after his
attorney discredited the eyewitness testimony who
claimed to hava been with him from 11am to 9:30pm,
when in fact Geometry was at work in South Bend,
Indiana from 5pm to 9am the following day and had work
records and a supervisor to prove it.(See Akli's
Statement)
	Two days later Akili and I were denied ond forcing us
to file an emergency appeal to the appelate court.
The same judge who found the "witness" unreliable
against Geometry and issued forth a scathing criticism
against the G.P.D. and the prosecution for even
bringing the case now found her credible enough to
deny Akili and I bond!
	The state is trying to pressure/force Akili to
implicate me in something that not only does she not
know anything about but that I did not do.
	The state has launched an aggresive counterattack
against those trying to organize around my case
involving the shoot out with the G.P.D.. Akili was the
Main proponent organizing and now she has been charged
with murder.  This sista has put in mad work for our
people and I cannot believe that now people lay silent
as they try to railroad her to prison for 65 fuckin'
years!  The state has no gun, no fingerprints, no DNA,
nothing!  Indiana doesn't even allow bond on a murder
unless the evidence against you is so slight that your
likely not even to get a conviction.  And yet they
gave my son a bond!  How can your only witness be
unreliale against one (when he claimed he handed me
the guns) and not be unreliable against all when its
all the same evidence?  Cause ain't no justice- it's
just us!
	We are looking for radical attorney's to do some
pro-bono owrk.  We have some funds to work with..
Also ned people to take responsiblility for getting
this information out.  They are trying to carry this
legal lynching out in darkeness.  We need to turn the
spotlight on it.

In Struggle,
Shaka Shakur

For more info contact either Shaka Shakur or Akili
Sadiki at:

Akili Sadiki-Shakur
Section 5C
2293 N. Main St.