[Imc-newsroom] Paul's fix for Mojo

Michael S. Feltes mfeltes at ucimc.org
Wed May 15 14:22:46 CDT 2002

Paul Kotheimer wanted to help me figure out what went wrong while
recording voiceovers for the FSRN piece.  During our troubleshooting, he
noticed that the voiceover mic was hooked into the board by an XLR to 1/4
inch cable, and told me that the voltages were all wrong, causing the low
levels we've been having to boost.  After replacing the cable with an XLR
to XLR, the levels were much improved.  While I doubt Paul's diagnosis
that the buzzing that made my voiceovers unusable was due to this (I
believe Clint's analysis, that it had to do with conflicts between the
Creative mixer and Windows' own sound control), voiceovers are much
improved because of the fix, and I'd recommend that we rustle up or buy a
short XLR to XLR cable to free up the long cable that Paul took from the
back-back room.

Paul also is of the opinion that we are using a second-rate microphone in
the newsroom, and that we should have a discussion about the needs of the
newsroom versus the needs of the stage vis-a-vis microphone distribution.
I've not had a problem with the mics in the newsroom; they're good enough
for Ethel and me and the chickens.  I wouldn't mind hearing a little more
about mics from people who know more about it than me.

Michael