[Imc-newsroom] [sila-bod] Co-sponsorship draft 2

lhurd lhurd at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 13 11:19:26 CDT 2002

Dear Independent Media Center,

    I am writing to you with an exciting opportunity for the IMC to
network and receive free publicity. Students Improving the Lives of Animals
(SILA) has created a Student Choice Proposal which would allow students with
religious and ethical oppositions to dissection the opportunity to use
non-animal alternatives, and we need your organization's support!

 SILA, with the help of Environmental Resources and Students for Environmental
Concerns, is currently collaborating with the Illinois Student Government on
this issue, and we are working for a resolution that the student body could
vote on (See proposal http://www.uiuc.edu/ro/sila/dissection.proposal.html)

  A Student-Choice Policy would not attempt to end dissection at the U of I,
but would instead affirm the right of students to conscientiously object to
dissection and complete a non-animal project which studies show meet and often
exceed educational objectives. This follows the U of I Code of Policies and
Regulations<http://www.uiuc.edu/admin_manual/code/rule_1.html> that prevents
students from being discriminated against due to their religious beliefs.

 Please check the following below that apply and e-mail me (Lauren)
at lhurd at uiuc.edu by September 20th:
___ Yes, My organization supports the Student Choice Proposal for students
with religious objections to dissection,

___ We want our organization to be advertised on your flyers for this
campaign.

___ We want our organization to be announced at all ISG and Student Senate
    meetings that discuss this proposal,

___ We want to be advertised on the SILA website for this campaign.

Thank you!
Lauren Hurd

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/.DlolB/TM