[Imc-newsroom] solidarity request for Urbana from Ecuador

alca-nunca alcanunca at riseup.net
Sat Sep 14 15:24:16 CDT 2002

Indymedia Contact,

I am contacting you because, according to the Stop FTAA website, you work (or
worked) with Urbana Indymedia.  I am writing from Quito, Ecuador, where
indigenous, campesino, labor, womens´, environmental, and youth organizations
are currently planning a massive anti-globalization protest in response to the
seventh summit of the Free Trade Area of the Americas, which will take place on
October 31st in Quito.

Not only have organizations here called for national resistance on
Ecuadorian soil, but they have declared October 27 through November 1 to be
Continental Days of  Resistance Against the FTAA.   People in the North
American "global justice movement" have been talking for several years about
the need to take leadership from frontline communities in both the North and
South. This October, if we organize and get moving, we will have the
opportunity to do just that.  The CONFEUNASSC-CNC, the largest campesino
organization in Ecuador, has recently launched ALCA-NUNCA, a project intended
to create a network of groups in North America to support the mobilization, by
connecting them with sister groups here in Ecuador.

Would Urbana Indymedia be interested in joining this project?  If you are no
longer the contact for Urbana Indymedia, who should we send this to?  Is there
anyone else in Urbana who we should contact? And can you forward this to any
one else you think may be interested?

I have pasted a full description of the ALCA NUNCA project below.  Feel free to
write to us with any questions or ideas you may have. Hope to hear from you
soon.

In Solidarity,

Claire
alcanunca at riseup.net

*********PROJECT DESCRIPTION*********

ALCA-NUNCA
(Americas Linked, Cooperating Against Neoliberalism and for Unity, Community,
and Autonomy)

Hyderabad...Seattle...Washington, D.C....Gothenburg...Prague...Quebec
City...Genoa...QUITO

BACKGROUND

On October 31, the 7th summit of the Free Trade Area of the Americas (the FTAA,
or ALCA in Spanish) will take place in Ecuador. As the Youth of North America
don witch and cowboy costumes, a far scarier bunch of middle-aged men, dressed
up like corporate executives, will be converging on the capital city of Quito.
34 foreign ministers and secretaries of state from across the Americas are
coming to Quito to negotiate the FTAA, an agreement that will extend the NAFTA
to the rest of the hemisphere (except Cuba).

The FTAA will give unprecedented power to major corporations and investors,
exacerbating poverty and insecurity, and causing widespread environmental
disaster. The corporations and investors are hoping that major portions of the
FTAA will be finalized in Quito, paving the way for its adoption in only a few
years.  But many people here in Ecuador have other ideas.  This country`s
powerful social movements are planning to mobilize tens of thousands of
campesinos (small farmers), indigenous people, trade unionists, students, and
many other groups to non-violently surround the summit, reject the FTAA, and,
if possible, stop the negotiations.  And thousands of people from Colombia,
Peru, Bolivia, Brazil, and other countries, are coming to join in.

This will be a critical moment for people of the Americas, with all eyes
focused on Ecuador.  If the protests fail, the FTAA process will likely take
a "great leap  forward," accelerating what amounts to a death sentence for
communities from Anchorage to Argentina.  If the protests succeed, not only
will we disrupt the FTAA process, but it will be impossible for the architects
of corporate globalization to continue claiming that the only thing standing
between prosperity and the global south is a bunch of anarchists, misguided
students, and selfish trade unionists.

But the success of the protests will depend, in part, on our ability to
mobilize support OUTSIDE of Ecuador.  It will take hard work in the U.S., for
example, to make sure that people know what happens here.  And if people
throughout the continent ensure that "the whole world is watching," it will be
harder for the  Ecuadorian government to repress peaceful opposition to the
FTAA, a process which already began with the unprovoked arrests of dozens of
social movement leaders at 2nd Summit of the Presidents of South America (see
http://sf.indymedia.org/news/2002/08/139267.php ).  Finally, activists in North
America have ready access to resources that could help enormously in the
process of mobilization.  It is this possibility-that we can use the summit to
create new mechanisms of solidarity and build networks of resistance that span
the continent-that is perhaps the most important aspect of this mobilization.

It has become increasingly clear that the only way to stop corporate
globalization, (or "neoliberalism" is it is called pretty much everywhere
outside of the U.S.), and to safeguard the alternatives that are being
painstakingly constructed by local communities, is through concerted
international action. There is no doubt that resistance to "free trade," and
neoliberalism exists in literally every corner of the world.  But the effective
coordination of that resistance remains a long way off.  The CONFEUNASSC-CNC, a
powerful national campesino federation that is mobilizing against the summit in
Ecuador, views October as an opportunity to take a step in that direction.  We
are looking for people interested in participating in ALCA-NUNCA,  a project
that will build connections between grassroots groups in Ecuador and North
America, help us learn from each other, and strengthen the mobilization for the
FTAA Summit.

PROJECT GOALS

ALCA-NUNCA will build direct relationships between grassroots U.S. and
Ecuadorian groups fighting neoliberalism, in order to:

1)        Gather resources for the Ecuadorian mobilization against the FTAA
(which will directly benefit movements in both countries).

2)        Help North American groups learn from Ecuadorian groups` analyses,
experiences, strategies, and techniques, and vice versa.

3)        Build a web of relationships and common experiences that can serve,
in the future, as a base from which to launch joint campaigns and to coordinate
strategy.

HOW IT WORKS

1.        We are looking for groups in Ecuador and North America (primarily the
U.S. and Canada) that want to participate.  We will join each North American
group with an Ecuadorian "sister group."

2.        Each group will begin by creating a message for its sister group.
This message will communicate
a.        Something of the reality in that group`s community, and why they are
fighting against the FTAA.
b.        A message of solidarity which can be read at a demonstration, forum,
or other event during the continental days of resistance planned for October 31
and November 1, and
c.        Some questions which that group has for its sister group, which can
be answered by email.

This message can take various forms, including a letter or email, a poster, a
video or audio recording, or anything else that is not too hard to transport.
(No hand-painted anvils, please).

We ask that all communication be in Spanish, or at least include a Spanish
translation.  We will try to find or provide assistance for any North American
group that has trouble with this requirement.  Perfect Spanish is NOT necessary.

3.        Each North American group will raise at least $500 to support the
campesino mobilization in Ecuador.  These funds will be used to pay for
transportation to the Quito protest (buses have become very expensive as a
result of dollarization).  They will also be used to support four "caravans"
which will visit hundreds communities in September and October, giving popular
education workshops on the FTAA, Plan Colombia, art and resistance, and
nonviolent direct action.  The caravans will also build a process of popular
dialogue aimed at constructing alternatives to the FTAA, and will recruit for
the mobilization in October.   This powerful tool will strengthen the internal
organization of the CONFEUNASSC-CNC and build a national network of resistance
to the FTAA.  We are also inviting participating North American groups to send
volunteers to join the caravans.

We can help North American groups figure out how to raise $500.  Possibilities
include:
•        A raffle
•        Hosting a fiesta with Ecuadorian food and music and showing a video on
the Ecuadorian resistance to the FTAA (which we are currently putting together).
•        Selling Anti-FTAA t-shirts and CD´s which have been created  by
activists in Ecuador
•        Getting 25 group members to pledge $20
•        Sending funds from the group treasury
•        Anything you can think of

Obviously, not all North American groups have equal access to resources.
Groups which would like to participate but feel that a $500 is impossible or
inappropriate should let us know.  In the same vein, some groups can and should
try to raise more than $500.

4.        We encourage North American groups to organize a solidarity action
during the continental days of resistance at the end of October.  During these
actions, and during the mobilization in Ecuador, each group will read or
present the message it has received from its sister group.  Each group should
also make some kind of record-for example, a photo diary or video diary-that
can show their sister group how they mobilize.

5.         In case the Ecuadorian mobilization faces serious repression, we may
ask that North American groups take action, e.g. sending a fax to the
Ecuadorian Embassy.

The goal of this process is to build a foundation for coordinated action.  For
this reason, it is important that the relationships we build last beyond
November.  We will ask sister groups to continue exchanging experiences and
information, and building connections, after the FTAA summit in Quito.  We also
hope to explore more concrete forms of cooperation in the future e.g.
coordinated campaigns.

HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED

CONFEUNASSC-CNC is looking for global justice networks, student groups,
community organizations, union locals, collectives, environmentalists,
environmental justice activists, small and/or organic farmers, food coops, and
anyone else who would like to join ALCA-NUNCA (and/or join the caravans). If
you think you might be interested, or have questions, contact
alcanunca at riseup.net.