[Imc-newsroom] solidarity request for Urbana from Ecuador

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 15 18:08:11 CDT 2002

Claire,
I will be posting your appeal to the U-C IMC Newswire:
<http://www.ucimc.org/>

I will also be forwarding your appeal to a couple of people who may be
of assistance who have local connections. You'll hear from them if they
are able to help.

The U-C IMC doesn't usually endorse other groups or movements as a
whole. Our Steering group could endorse this, but it would have to be
billed as an endorsement strictly from this group, as it doesn't speak
for the U-C IMC as a whole. Let us know if you would like the Steering
group to do so on its own.

Our own financial situation doesn't allow us to assist you financially,
although it certainly sounds like a worthy cause and we wish you success
in your endeavours to defeat the FTAA. Please feel free to post news on
our Newswire about what occurs in Ecuador during the FTAA meetings.

Mike Lehman
for the U-C IMC Steering group

alca-nunca wrote:

> Indymedia Contact,
>
> I am contacting you because, according to the Stop FTAA website, you work (or
> worked) with Urbana Indymedia.  I am writing from Quito, Ecuador, where
> indigenous, campesino, labor, womens´, environmental, and youth organizations
> are currently planning a massive anti-globalization protest in response to the
> seventh summit of the Free Trade Area of the Americas, which will take place on
> October 31st in Quito.
>
> Not only have organizations here called for national resistance on
> Ecuadorian soil, but they have declared October 27 through November 1 to be
> Continental Days of  Resistance Against the FTAA.   People in the North
> American "global justice movement" have been talking for several years about
> the need to take leadership from frontline communities in both the North and
> South. This October, if we organize and get moving, we will have the
> opportunity to do just that.  The CONFEUNASSC-CNC, the largest campesino
> organization in Ecuador, has recently launched ALCA-NUNCA, a project intended
> to create a network of groups in North America to support the mobilization, by
> connecting them with sister groups here in Ecuador.
>
> Would Urbana Indymedia be interested in joining this project?  If you are no
> longer the contact for Urbana Indymedia, who should we send this to?  Is there
> anyone else in Urbana who we should contact? And can you forward this to any
> one else you think may be interested?
>
> I have pasted a full description of the ALCA NUNCA project below.  Feel free to
> write to us with any questions or ideas you may have. Hope to hear from you
> soon.
>
> In Solidarity,
>
> Claire
> alcanunca at riseup.net