[Imc-newsroom] IMC News Coordinator Position

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Mon Sep 23 00:56:45 CDT 2002

Hi Folks -

Since I was the one who wrote the original job description for the News
Coordinator grant, I have been asked to draft a job description which I
have started on.  Below is a list of items to be included and some
additional thoughts.  I want to bring a refined version, after getting
your input over e-mail, to the News Group this Sunday.  Please read and
respond.

Can anyone tell me when the grant starts or when we plan on starting to
advertise for the position?

- danielle

IMC Radio News Coordinator - Job Description

- Organize the details of the show each week, allowing the volunteer
  reporters and producers more time to focus on refining their material.
- Be well-read on all kinds of news so as to be able to broaden the story
  horizons of the group.
- Keep track of story development ideas and seek out people to implement
  them.
- Coordinate outreach to volunteer journalists.
- Facilitate IMC Radio Production meetings.
- Refine show production processes.
- Provide technical support for shows.
- Help train newcomers on media production and reporting.
- Work with various IMC news groups, such as Print and Web, to integrate
  news coverage.
- Be the point person for FSRN requests.  Staff these requests and provide
  support for their production start to finish.

Additional thoughts about this position:

At 16 hours/week at $8.50/hour - we can do more than have this person work
on the 30 minute show.  I think coordinating training and outreach is a
must.

I would like this person to have VISION and SKILLS to bring to this group.
I would like them to have some experience in news production with another
group.  If they don't, I would like to allocate some of this funding to
send them to training.  For example, we could make the position 10 hours a
week and have $2700 left over to send them to trainings.

I have e-mailed a grassroots radio listserv for example news coordinator
job descriptions.  I will e-mail anything interesting I find out to the
group.