[Imc-newsroom] outreach idea from pdx-imc

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 27 15:36:28 CST 2003

http://portland.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=46205&group=webcast

* Empower Yourself. Empowers Others. indymedia training on Thurs., the
27th *
imc-portland-editorial volunteer /1:03am Wed Feb 26 '03/
imc-portland-editorial at indymedia.org
<mailto:imc-portland-editorial at indymedia.org> 	/article#46205
<http://portland.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=46205&group=webcast>/

        Not until we have learned as individuals and as a culture to
        empower ourselves, and to stop letting the fascist
        powers-that-be forcefeed us our lives and our news, will we have
        real positive change in the world.

This Thursday, from 7-9, come to a portland indymedia website/features
training
at the Cascadia Forest Alliance Infoshop at 1540 SE Clinton St!

The portland indymedia is one of the most-trafficked, most posted-to
website in
the U.S. in large part because it is such a frequently updated website.
Where
most IMCs have 1-5 center-column features a week (or a month in some
cases), the
portland site has 1-9 a day. That's because all original posts about local
events/issues are turned into features. This policy rewards and encourages
people who write original content and post it to the site. People LOVE
it when
their story becomes a feature! They feel EMPOWERED, and if you're
helping to di it, you're EMPOWERING them.

There's a lot of talk about not just protesting, but creating viable
alternatives. indymedia is one such alternative project -- a new kind of
way of telling the news and distributing the news. A new kind of news,
entirely! And it's working! Help with the media rEvolution! Come to the
training on Thursday and learn
how easy and simple it is to update the site -- it's all done through
online
forms and no HTML knoweledge is required! Join the effort that makes so
many
portland indymedia posters happy and is making portland indymedia into a
powerful force for positive change.

Topics covered will be:
- What are features
- How to upload features