[Imc-newsroom] Re: [Imc-web] outreach idea from pdx-imc

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 18:37:47 CST 2003

It should be noted that Portland does not have a seperate newswire for
local news, like we do. So they are trying, in part, to compensate for that.

I also think that we (and they) have local stories that are so local
they would have little in the way of interest to readers on the global
Newswire, where Features from all IMCs are pulled to automatically. An
examination of the global Newswire does not show Portland's stuff
filling it up, so some of their stories may be skipped in the process
because they do so many features. I know the Spanish version of the
Guatemala feature I made last night still hasn't been pulled from here
yet, so that's why I modified the timestamp so that maybe it would make
it today.

I think we do a relatively good job of making stories into Features
here. I am not adverse to doing more of this. I just wanted to point out
that the circumstances are a bit different here than at Portland.
Mike Lehman

Paul Riismandel forwarded:
> http://portland.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=46205&group=webcast
SNIP

> The portland indymedia is one of the most-trafficked, most posted-to
> website in
> the U.S. in large part because it is such a frequently updated website.
> Where
> most IMCs have 1-5 center-column features a week (or a month in some
> cases), the
> portland site has 1-9 a day. That's because all original posts about local
> events/issues are turned into features. This policy rewards and encourages
> people who write original content and post it to the site. People LOVE
> it when
> their story becomes a feature! They feel EMPOWERED, and if you're
> helping to di it, you're EMPOWERING them.
SNIP