[Imc-newsroom] City Tour/Framing and Social Policy/Wal-Mart Win or Whine/Misquoted

Community Media Workshop cmw at newstips.org
Thu Sep 22 22:12:22 CDT 2005

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP'S eNOTES ­ September 22, 2005
See you Saturday? . . .

>> NITTY GRITTY CITY BUS TOUR ­ SEPTEMBER 24 <<

Chicago-area journalists and the public get a down and dirty tour of
Chicago's communities less often covered in the news. Chicago Tribune's Ron
Grossman and local neighborhood activists will talk about the history and
current issues important to Chicago's south and southwest sides,
specifically the Englewood, Little Village and Brighton Park neighborhoods.
Co-sponsored by the Chicago Headline Club and Community Media Workshop.
Details are at
http://www.headlineclub.org/mc/community/eventdetails.do?eventId=63265.

On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21. . .

>> WIFI FOR THE GULF COAST<<
featured Saturday, September 24, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

Just back from the Gulf Coast, wireless internet experts Paul Smith, Center
for Neighborhood Technology, and Rogers Wilson III, Wireless Community
Network, discuss with host Thom Clark their work helping connect evacuees
with family and emergency services in the hurricane-devastated region.

On WNUA 95.5 . . .

>> SOUTH SIDE SCHOOL SUCCESS<<
featured Sunday, September 25, 6:30 a.m. on "City Voices" on WNUA 95.5 FM

Black United Fund's Henry English discusses turning around Chicago's South
Side school with host Thom Clark.

Up next at the Workshop . . .

>> FRAMING AND SOCIAL POLICY ­ OCTOBER 6 <<

Makani Themba Nixon kicks off Community Media Workshops' Fall series of
workshops with a new offering focusing on how to communicate progressive
issues given the conservative "framing terrain." Participants will debate
whether there are "wrong" words and, more importantly, consider how to
forge a shared language with shared meanings that reinforces common values
with the public.  There are still seats available. Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=64.

>> Why Wal-Mart? Win or Whine? ­ OCTOBER 14 <<
featuring a panel discussion and communications workshop

Politicians and political, community and union activists will discuss the
facts about Wal-Mart and how to effectively communicate them to the public.
Panelists include State Senator Carol Ronen, Chicago Alderman Howard
Brookins, South Austin Coalition Community Council's Elce Redmond and
WakeUpWalMart.com's Paul Blank. Breakfast starts at 8 a.m.; discussion,
8:30 a.m.; workshop, 10 a.m. at UNITE Hall, 333 S. Ashland, Chicago. Cost
is $25. Pre-registeration requested. Contact S.J. Peters at
SJPeters at ufswlocal1546.org or 800-592-3208 for more details and to sign up.

Newstips recent piece offers some insight into this issue facing Chicago:
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Newstips&main_id=506

Recently asked question . . .

>> WHAT DO I DO WHEN I'VE BEEN MISQUOTED IN THE PRESS? <<

According to political strategist Laurie Glenn Gista: "Always remember when
you are doing a story that this is just one battle in the war of ideas.
Don't pick a short-term fight with a reporter and lose the opportunity to
build a long-term and valuable relationship.  Remember, they have the pen,
the camera, and recorder.  Try and take the negative and build it into a
positive opportunity to develop an
understanding between you and the reporter for future stories.".

To learn more about connecting with the media, participate in the
five-Fridays workshop Laurie leads, Professional Media Relations.  It
starts October 14. Details are at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=1

>> MEDIA GUIDE 2006 ON PRESS NOW <<

Perhaps you heard cheering coming from Chicago's South Loop this week.
That would have come from our Columbia College offices, because the
280-plus pages of the 2006 "Getting On The Air & Into Print" book were at
last delivered to the printer. Finished books are expected by month's end.
The digital guide on CD-Rom will be in soon too.

Pre-publication rate for both version of the guide expire September 30,
2005.  To order, see http://www.newstips.org/cart/.

Publicity Club of Chicago current members receive their free print guides
by December.  To renew your membership, go to
http://www.publicity.org/membership.htm.

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping other nonprofits doing vital
work in their community connect with the media and visa versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.