[Imc-newsroom] Big Boxing/Professional Media Relations/Media Guide/SheSource.org

Community Media Workshop eNotes cmw at newstips.org
Thu Aug 3 14:40:39 CDT 2006

COMMUNITY MEDIA WORKSHOP eNOTES - August 3, 2006
On Chicago's CAN TV Channel 21 . . .

>> BIG BOX LIVING WAGE IN FOCUS <<
featured Saturday, August 5, 8 p.m. on Community, Media & You

The city council put Chicago on the map in the community/labor movement.
Despite strong opposition from business leaders and the mayor, the council
passed a "big box living wage" ordinance, which will require large
retailers like Wal-Mart and Target to pay employees a minimum wage of
$10/hour plus $3 in benefits by 2010. Pending a mayoral veto and court
challenges, the law starts a new chapter in organizing around worker's
rights and equality that many other cities and towns are looking to copy.
Alderman Joe Moore; James Thindwa, Executive Director of Chicago Jobs with
Justice; and Judith Luna of the Brighton Park Neighborhood Council discuss
the organizing campaign that led to victory, lessons to be learned, and
what important improvements that can be made, with host Thom Clark.

>> OPPORTUNITY AGENDA <<

An exciting communications campaign visited Chicago and the Workshop last
week. Read Gordon Mayer's write up on Opportunity Agenda's workshop at
http://npcommunicator.blogspot.com/.

>>  RUN AN AD IN THE 2007 MEDIA GUIDE - deadline August 8 <<

Community Media Workshop's media guide "Getting on the Air & Into Print" is
used by more than 1500 media professionals working for a variety of
companies: large and small non-profit organizations, public relations and
advertising firms, in-house corporate media relations departments and many
news outlets. Ads are placed on one of the section tabs, an often turned to
part of the guide, and are on display for the year or more the guide is in
use.  Learn more at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Products&main_id=168.

Meet Journalists. . .

>> NITTY-GRITTY CITY BUS TOUR - August 24 <<

In cooperation with Chicago Headline Club and the Society of Professional
Journalists' annual convention, Community Media Workshop's bus tour offers
a seldom explored view of Chicago. The tour explores the legacy of Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. in Chicago by visiting the area he rented a
"cold-water flat" 40 years ago. Garfield Conservatory and Congress Danny
Davis are on the agenda, as well as meeting with race relations and
community re-development experts.
When: Thursday, Aug. 24, Noon - 5 p.m. - only 12 seats are left
Where: Bus departs from the Hyatt Regency Chicago
Price: $40 (includes lunch). Registration is at
https://www.spj.org/c-register.asp
Learn more at https://www.spj.org/c-halfday.asp?

Most of the SPJ annual convention's offerings require payment, but some
features are free and open to the public - like Aaron Freeman and Ray
Hanania's "Comedy for Peace". Details are at
https://www.spj.org/c-firstam.asp? and http://www.spj.org/c-friday.asp?.

Coming up at the Workshop . . .

>> PROFESSIONAL MEDIA RELATIONS - starts October 20 <<
Register at
http://www.newstips.org/register/index.php?section=Workshop&calendar_id=1

Participants in this intensive five-week course specifically for nonprofit
communicators plan media campaigns around one of their own stories while
learning basic public relations skills such as how to:
o Develop a media strategy,
o Pitch stories to journalists,
o Plan media events, and
o Handle a broadcast interview.

The trainers are Thom Clark, Gordon Mayer and others, including
journalists.  Fee includes one copy per organization of Spin Works, a basic
media-relations textbook; and one copy of Getting on the Air and Into Print
2007, the Workshop's guide to more than 3,500 journalists covering the
Midwest.

More about Getting On The Air & Into Print. . .

>> WHAT CHANGES SHOULD WE MAKE TO THE MEDIA GUIDE? <<

Tis the season we update the media guide in preparation for publishing the
2007 edition.  Media is constantly changing.  If you have updates or other
suggestions for the next edition of the guide, contact Karen Kring at
karen at newstips.org.

>> FREE MEDIA GUIDE SAMPLES <<

A few sections of the print version of "Getting On The Air & Into Print"
are available at
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=576.

>> FREE NEWS RELEASE SERVICE FOR HOUSING GROUPS <<

Housing Newswire.com, a news service for the local real estate industry,
provides free accounts to area nonprofits, allowing them to post/distribute
news releases via their website.  This service can cost $299/year.  For
more information, see http://www.housingnewswire.com/about.php or contact
Kris Zillo at kzillo at housingnewswire.com or 773-868-4770 x 508.

Help close media's gender gap. . .

>> SheSOURCE.ORG LOOKING FOR WOMEN EXPERTS TO BE JOURNALISTS' SOURCES <<

SheSource.org is an online resource  providing journalists with a database
of women who are experts in their fields and experienced spokespeople.  To
learn more, see http://www.shesource.org ; to recommend a woman who is an
expert in her field, click "recommend an expert".

At www.newstips.org . . .

>> MAKING MEDIA CONNECTIONS  2006 <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=About+CMW&main_id=633

At this year's conference Fox's Mark Suppelsa discussed the inner workings
of TV newsrooms and challenged us all to challenge the media to cover
important stories better. His clip focusing on juvenile justice reform
showed how local TV news can tell strong stories in a compelling,
non-sensational way. Fenton Communication's Lisa Witter told stories about
communication strategies that worked and why. Mark's video clip, Lisa's
"This Just In: 10 Lessons from 2 Decades of Public Interest Communications
", pictures, handouts, notes from some panel discussion, the link to
Chicago Public Radio's Chicago Amplified coverage of "The Power of Radio"
roundtable and other material are online.

>> PITCH YOUR NEWSTIPS <<
http://www.newstips.org/forms/suggest_newstip.php

Bookmark this page! Here's an easy means to pitch your news to Newstips
editor Curtis Black. Newstips is a journalists' tipsheet previewing
grassroots community initiatives. Besides being distributed in print,
Newstips is accessed online at www.newstips.org with new news tips being
added frequently.

>> CREATE A PRESS RELEASE <<
http://www.newstips.org/forms/create_a_release.php

Our automated press release creator guides you through the what, where,
when and other elements needed to create a complete press release.

>> SUBMIT TO COMMUNITY CALENDARS <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=PR+Tips&main_id=371

Nonprofit and community organizations are invited to submit event
information to Chicago-area media outlets quick and easy via these handy
links.

>> LINK YOUR WEBSITE TO NEWSTIPS.ORG <<
http://www.newstips.org/interior.php?section=Resources+Nonprofits

Help journalists find you as they work on stories you can contribute to.
Draw more attention to your website through the common search engines.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." - Helen
Keller

Community Media Workshop is a nonprofit organization of journalists,
educators and media relations experts helping those doing vital work in
their community connect with the media and vice versa. We provide
workshops, an annual conference, a media guide, a journalists' tipsheet,
briefing papers, sources, and sponsor the Studs Terkel Awards. Workshop
eNotes is produced by Karen Kring.   She appreciates feedback,
karen at newstips.org.

Community Media Workshop
at Columbia College
mail: 600 S. Michigan
Chicago, IL 60605
312-344-6400
http://www.newstips.org

This bulletin serves to alert colleagues to events, issues and
opportunities that affect us and our communities. To break our hearts and
remove yourself from this list, reply to this message with "Opt-Out" in the
subject line.