[Imc-radio] Champaign City Council Living Wage Study Session - PLEASE COME!

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Mon Apr 7 10:57:45 CDT 2003

Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:28:32 -0500 (CDT)
From: Maiko Covington <mcovingt at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

Hello.

	My name is Maiko Covington, I am a member of the Champaign County
Living Wage Association.  You might recall that in 2002 we have successfully
gotten living wage legislation passed by both the Champaign County Board
and the Urbana City Council, following earlier wins at the health district
and housing authority.

	Now it is time to take the fight to the Champaign City Council.
We have gotten a Study Session scheduled for this Tuesday, April 8th at 7 PM.
At this special meeting of the Champaign City Council, members of our
association and other supporters will give some talks, and the Council
will decide if they feel our proposed living wage resolution is worthy
to be voted on by the Council at a future date.  We really need members of
the public sitting in the chambers to emphasize support for the living
wage in Champaign County, and the City of Champaign in particular.  We
have speakers lined up already, but WE NEED PEOPLE TO ATTEND the meeting.
At some point you will be asked to stand silenty in the room to show
your numbers.

	Please, if you can, attend:

	What: Champaign City Council Study Session on the Living Wage
	When: 7 PM, Tuesday April 8th 2003
	Where: Champaign City Council chambers
	       (in the city building, 102 N. Neil St. Champaign. Use the
		NORTH entrance. Free parking is available at the Bank
		Illinois building across Neil St, also at the downtown
		Intermodal Transit Center).
	How: We need people to pack the room to show support by numbers.
             We have speakers already lined up, there should be no fear of
  	     speaking (though if you like, you are certainly welcome to).
	Why: You feel the City of Champaign should commit to paying all its
	     employees enough to earn a dignified living.

	Looking forward to seeing you there,

	Maiko Covington.