[Imc-radio] RE: Lolita film/future ideas/Living Wage meeting

Melodye Rosales melodye at sugarpiepress.com
Mon Apr 7 13:51:45 CDT 2003

I am finishing the rough VSH edit on Lolita Literacy Chicago. We should
get together sometime this week to view and discuss final
cut/post-production work.  Paul, I will reimburse you for food when we
meet.  I do not want to ask for check till film is completed.  And, will
not release it till check is cleared.  Spoke with Cope and though I
wasn't able to detail project (wrong place, no time) she was interested
and thought it might be something to air on WILL.  This brought to light
another thought, I think I should sell limited rights to LC and retain
copyright to allow us to recycle this in many forms.  If we do this, I
will get a release from Lolita (and of course offer her additional
monies to do sign the release as a work-for-hire as opposed to a
percentage royalty agreement).  This has more to do with our ability to
use the work the way we think best--rather than a greed-thang.

As for additional projects, related to---I am looking into this
under-the-wire proposal (not sure if it is just Illinois) which is
pushing to reinstate the Orphanage system and facilities. I have a
contact who I'd like all of us to speak with and learn more about the
issue/facts/etc.

When is Nikki coming back?  I want her to work on this as well.

All said, because this is an area that I know well
(literacy/children/child welfare) we can create multimedia packages
w/books geared for academia----as well as commercial versions of same.
And, children's books that would come with a teacher kit (includes film
on CD and or DVD format, as well as VSH for those who opt for it). For
this, we should meet and discuss more seriously.

Last---I will not be at the meeting Tuesday, April 8th because I am
attending the Living Wage support group scheduled to meet at the same
time.  Below I have copied what I posted to INDY-print online.  I plan
to bring cameras/still and moving. Somehow I have a feeling the living
wage issue/Lolita's circumstances/ and this orphanage proposal---may
find a common meeting place (film-wise that is).

Living Wage--Tuesday April 8th at 7pm Champaign's City Hall north door
entrance. We need bodies---doesn't matter where you live.  Issue must be
supported to be taken seriously. Take a moment out of your schedule to
be a head count.  You need not stay if you have other agendas to attend
to.  Belden will address this issue, along with a few others. Bring
along other bodies to create a "standing room only" presence.

Anyone who has been following the News-Gazette we ask your undivided
support.  This Living Wage matter will help to set the tone for Giraldo
and the issues, your issues, our community's issues, the people's issues
he plans to bring to the table on an ongoing basis while in term.  We
succeeded in making the joke on the council (April 1st election)--now,
we can waste no time laughing---we must keep pushing forward while
they[everyone not "us" and like-thinking] whine and try and save face by
attacking both Giraldo and any other voice/concern/issue(s) that go
against the grain of "business as usual". Keep our voice(s) strong and
steady! Come 7pm Champaign City Hall north side entrance April 8th.

Thanks!

Melodye