[Imc-radio] Re: [Imc] Radio group operating by consensus?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 7 23:10:15 CDT 2003

I gotta agree with Paul on this. I'm flying blind to a certain extent,
since I didn't hear the broadcast in question and am only privy to what
has back and forth on the lists.

I get the impression that Al would have done such a report in a
different way. And that's all fine and good. I'm sure the IMC Radio
resources are at his disposal if he wants to do so.

But the story was Ondine's. And because even people basically on the
same side of the whole Palestine vs. Israel issue often find themselves
in disagreement about exactly how to report on issues surrounding this
conflict, I can't see the IMC taking some particular stance on it that
would satisfy everyone involved with the IMC.

I really think the whole issue of consensus on the Radio group is one
that wouldn't change the way things came out unless Al was himself
involved with the group so that his input could be taken into account at
the time. There are always things we would do differently if WE did them
instead of someone else. None of our groups, although they all function
somewhat differently in practice, actually establishes a "political
line" as such, so I see no other way for Al to affect the outcome other
than for him to get involved personally in helping make the news. That's
the IMC way, but it can present some opportunities for misunderstanding
about how we do the news, which seems to be the case here.

That said, Paul's point about the importance of having at least an
occasional meeting to hash out things (and hopefully getting a spoke to
Steering at least _some_ of the time, although that is an issue in
itself) is important so that these things have a venue to come to. This
is _not_ Cliff's responsibility, however. Cliff has held the meetings
and given up in frustration since no one was attending at the agreed on
time (and he may have still been having the meetings when this first
came up and, if so, that is where Al should've started.) It is the
responsibility of the _members_ of the Radio group to have some sort of
regular meetings, even if this is only once a month.

That said, I don't want to fix what ain't broke. The shows are getting
done, so the Radio group, on that point, has found something that works.
Producing for a weekly Radio program has even more deadline pressure
than for the public i and would be ill-served by some sort of review
process before it goes on the air. I don't want anything we do to
disrupt what seems to me to be effective work.

But there is this basic function of meeting occasionally that does need
to be addressed so that when people, like Al did, have an issue to
discuss, they can do so. These things shouldn't float endlessly in
cyberspace where nothing gets resolved. I don't think it would or should
  change anything in this case, except to provide an opportunity for reply.

I simply don't see us dictating to Ondine or any other responsible IMC
reporter who works hard on a story to have it reviewed for having the
right IMC "line," because there ain't no such critter. There isn't time
in most cases to do so anyway.

One other thing is that, while I trust Clint's judgement implicitly in
doing the work he is doing, I can see where a case could come up where
he might recognize the subject would be problematic for an IMC radio
program. It shouldn't fall solely on his shoulders if it ever happens to
have to say no, which is another good reason to have regular
opportunities for the Radio group to meet. Otherwise, the only thing
that could be done is to throw it in the lap of Steering, which as Paul
noted, we would prefer not to happen unless it can't be resolved at a
lower level.
Mike Lehman