[Imc-radio] Dewey is faster

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Mon Apr 21 21:51:16 CDT 2003

I installed the 100BaseT card that Zach donated (muy amable!) into
dewey, and things ROCK!  Now both dewey and rosa have 100BaseT, and
transfers between them are very fast.  That means logons, transfers to
Z: and to Y:, etc.  (We do not speak of MJ, Rosa's late sister.)

For the techies, FreeBSD recognized the Kingston KNE100TX and used the
DC driver.  The huge increase in speed could be (a) that the old card
was ISA based and possible sharing an interrupt with the ISA
controller (bad), or (b) the auto-sensing hub sucks and was the
bottleneck.  I'm betting (a), because I definitely wasn't getting
10MBps before.

Anyway, it's fast!  Rejoice!  We should still try to scavage another
100BaseT card for MJ's replacement.

			-Clint

--
Clint Popetz                   Home:  217-398-3831
  Urbana-Champaign             IMC:   217-344-8820
    Independent Media Center   Email: clint at ucimc.org
      Radio News Coordinator   USPS:  502 W. Washington Champaign, IL 61820