[Imc-radio] re: looking for pitches for democracy series (fwd)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ojctech.com
Wed Aug 27 12:03:46 CDT 2003

FYI:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:22:09 -0700
From: Phillip Babich <pbabich at radioproject.org>
To: Phillip Babich <pbabich at radioproject.org>
Subject: re: looking for pitches for democracy series

NRP correspondents: After hearing back from a few of you, I have
realized that I forgot to attach the freelancer guidelines.  Here there
are.  The length of the stories we're looking for are about 8 minutes.
Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.  --PB

--
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Phillip Babich
pbabich at radioproject.org
www.radioproject.org
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

-------------- next part --------------
Making Contact
Submission Guidelines 2003

National Radio Project
1714 Franklin St. #100-251
Oakland, CA 94612
tel: (510) 251-1332
fax: (510) 251-1342
www.radioproject.org

Making Contact adheres to the highest standards. Please follow
the guidelines carefully:

1. Record on digital format or cassette (high bias preferred)

2. If available, choose Dolby setting when recording

3. Use professional microphone and recording device

4. Please clearly label recordings and accompanying material

5. Record levels must be precise; no over-modulation and no
off-mic recordings

6. Sound elements and/or ambience tracks must have at least
:60 of uninterrupted sound

7. No audible edits; avoid excessive internal editing

8. Narration should be conversational, not glossy or heroic

9. Submit mailing address and contact information for
interviewees (required)

Editorial process:

1. Get story pre-approval and deadline from managing producer

2. Submit script and recorded segments (include phone number
and mailing address on script)

3. Discuss any changes or re-writes with managing producer

4. Record and edit narration

5. Submit final edit and script

6. Final mix conducted at the National Radio Project (NRP)
unless other arrangements are made

NRP pays $175 for 7-10 min. edited segments.  $150 for 5-6
mins. $25 bonus for 2 or more sound elements.  Other lengths,
terms discussed. Kill fee $25. We consider unedited recordings
of interviews, speeches and events.  Rates vary.

Making Contact is a half-hour weekly public affairs program
heard on 160 community and public radio stations. MPEG and
RealAudio on the Internet. Short-wave: Radio for Peace
International

To pitch a story, write a one or two paragraph description;
include potential interviewees. Making Contact is not a news
program and focuses primarily on underlying economic, social
and political issues. Stories should avoid time-dating and
should be relevant a minimum of 3 months after broadcast.
Before pitching a story, be familiar with the mission of NRP,
as posted on our website (www.radioproject.org) or ask for a
hard copy.  In making your pitch, please consider the
following questions:

* Does the story relate public interests to governmental
policies and corporate priorities?

* Does the story give listeners a historical, political, or
social context of major national and international events?

* Does the story shed light on social and economic inequities?

* Does the story link grassroots issues to national or
international trends?

Submit pitches by email, fax or mail to managing producer
Phillip Babich - pbabich at radioproject.org