[Imc-radio] Death Penalty FSRN piece

Clint Popetz cpopetz at cpopetz.com
Sun Jan 12 11:48:03 CST 2003

As you've probably heard, Ryan commuted the death sentences of all
death row inmates yesterday.  I've pitched to FSRN that I do a feature
for tomorrow's show on this.  I'm putting out a call in case anyone
would like to help.  Relevant URLs are:

http://www.cuadp.org/20030111ryan.html

http://www.ncadp.org/html/commutations_-_ryan_-_jan__11.html

http://www.ucimc.org/feature/display/8824/index.php

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/01/11/illinois.death.row/index.html

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=NPZ4YDWK3QXJWCRBAE0CFEY?type+=topNews&storyID=2028813

Here's what I would like to have for the feature:

(a) Audio from Ryan's speech yesterday at the Northwestern University
College of Law.  This could probably be obtained from the College, or
from a news outlet in the area.  If anyone has a press contact that
would be of use for this, please send it along.

(b) A comment from a released inmate and/or their family

(c) A comment from Abe Bonowitz, Director of CUADP.  I've emailed him,
and will call him this afternoon.

(d) A comment from a Blagojevic, who has criticized the commutations.
This would probably have to be obtained Monday, and may be difficult,
because he'll be in transition to Springfield.

I'm not really interested in a comment from a victim's family
member, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Would anyone like to tackle any of the above?  If anyone would like to
come up with a script and do voiceovers, that would be great as well.
I can produce the piece this evening into tomorrow.

This is going to be high stress, because I need to do the CityView
piece for tomorrow, help Jason get the Drawing Resistance piece, and
do this piece.  Help!  Jump in!  This is a momentous story!

				-Clint