[Imc-radio] Public Access T.V. Forum - July 9 4:30 PM

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Sun Jun 8 23:22:11 CDT 2003

- PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY -

What would do you if you had your own television station? -- YOU DO!
Help shape the present and future of public access television in
Champaign-Urbana.  We need your input.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PUBLIC ACCESS FORUM
Wednesday    July 9    4:30 PM
Champaign City Council Chambers
NE corner of University and Neil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hosted by the C-U Telecommunications Commission

M o r e  I n f o
There are four PEG (Public Access-Education-Government)
Cable Channels in C-U:
- City of Champaign Channel 5
- Urbana's UPTV Channel 6
- University of Illinois Channel 7
- Parkland College Educational Channel (PCETV) Channel 9

You have most likely run across a City Council or School Board meetings on
channels 5 or 6, a foreign language news cast through SCOLA on channel 7,
or an educational seminar on channel 9.

These channels are paid for, in part, by taxes on your cable bill - about
$.50 - 1.50 per customer, per year.  They are publicly owned and
operated; that means they are ultimately accountable to you.

The C-U Telecommunications Commission is an appointed body made up of City
Council and community members.  The Commission, in a large part,
determines the funding and direction of PEG Channels.

This forum focuses on the *Public Access* component of these channels.
Public Access means you, members of the public, can submit programs and
have input about programming.  Depending on the channel, you can make your
own programs with equipment at the station or your own equipment, submit
pre-produced programming, or make requests, as audience members, about
what programming you would like to see.

The Commission would like to hear from you, as audience members,
distributors, and producers of Public Access programming.  Please join us
as we discuss the present and future of Public Access T.V. in C-U.

You can see a list of commission members at:
http://www.city.champaign.il.us/government/gvbc.html

For more information, or to receive e-mail updates on public access
in C-U, e-mail: Danielle Chynoweth, C-U Telecommunications Commissioner
and Urbana City Council Member at danielle at ojctech.com or 344-0183.