[Imc-radio] DOCUMENTARY PITCHES for FSRN:

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Jun 10 11:05:13 CDT 2003

FYI:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:29:10 EDT
From: BillhelpJ at aol.com
To: BillhelpJ at aol.com
Subject: DOCUMENTARY PITCHES

Hello friendly reporters,

July 4th is a holiday and that means that its another opportunity for Free
Speech Radio News to air a documentary! Detailed pitches should be sent to
fsrn-features at wbai.org by Friday, June 13. An answer will be provided by June 15.

As usual, the documentary we air will be selected by a group of reporters and
producers. If you want to help choose the documentary write to
fsrn-features at wbai.org

Below you will find some of the documentaries FSRN has broadcast recently

All the best,

Aaron Glantz
for Kata Mester

A Prison Without Bars: A Ranch Where Hope Grows
Sure we all are anti-incarceration. And would you vote to put kids in prison?
Just the same, what do you do with kids that at 16 are dropping out, failing
probation, jacking people and carrying Mach 10s? And for poor kids-- budget
cuts mean the loss of housing, welfare, and access to school. It also means that
any community alternatives to state prison are seriously threatened.

FSRN and Prison Radio brings you the voices of ten young men -- African
American, Latino, Asian American, Samoan, Iraqi, and a Ukrainian teenager, all
doing time, or who have done time at Log Cabin Ranch San Francisco's juvenile
detention facility. These are boys trying to becoming men, boys who are fathers.
They told us that ignoring the crisis has had deadly consequences and that they
want to live. Their raps and poems document their journey-- amidst the pain
of poverty and profiling.

----
Today we invite you to join us on an odyssey that takes us from deep inside
Zapatista rebel territory with the biodiversity of the rainforests of Mexico's
south east, through maquiladoras in Central America and finally making the
last leg of the perilous journey, illegally, crossing the US/Mexico border in
search of work on the streets of San Francisco. FSRN's Chiapas team, Mariana
Mora, Luz Ruiz and Tim Russo bring us this special documentary.
----
In this Thanksgiving week special, today we hear the stories of people living
on the hidden side of America - in places known as "colonias" where they
pursue their own vision of the American Dream. Kent Patterson in El Paso, Texas
takes us on a journey to hear the stories and disappointments of communities old
and new.