[Imc-radio] participate in Sprouts on PHARMA (fwd)

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Tue Nov 11 14:12:15 CST 2003

FYI:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:10:45 -0800 (PST)
From: KCSB News Department <news at kcsb.org>
To: nabram at tampabay.rr.com, news at ckln.fm, news at ckut.ca, news at kgnu.org,
     NEWSDIR at wort.org, p_riism at uiuc.edu, pacificaannounce at yahoogroups.com,
     pmnews at kboo.org, prisonradio at hotmail.com, radioactive at maineindymedia.org,
     randi_zimmerman at yahoo.com, robarteslgh at hotmail.com, sascha at ucimc.org,
     sebastian at indymedia.org, STEVEN KISSELBURGH ZELAZNIK <skzelaznik at wisc.edu>,
     tuhus.dubrow at snet.net, vman at freakradio.org,
     Zach Schiller <jzschiller at ucdavis.edu>
Subject: participate in Sprouts on PHARMA

Hi all,

Please set some time aside over the next week to
apply your energy, creativity, and skills to
producing a piece for KCSB's Sprouts production -
a nationally distributed program (NYC, Houston,
Chicago, Minneapolis, and more)!  We are focusing
on the pharmaceutical industry and its impacts on
all sorts of areas of daily life, politics, etc.

*** Our deadline for story ideas is Saturday Nov.
14th (i.e., email us a description of your topic
and a list of sources you will use). *** We have
two story ideas that we would like to see picked
up, if you don't know what you want to work on
already.

The script (and therefore all interviews) needs to
be in to us by ** Monday the 17th at noon **

The edited audio needs to be complete by
*** Tuesday the 18th at noon ***

The show runs on Pacifica's KU Right satellite
channel each Wednesday at 11 AM PST. It's also
available that morning as a broadcast-quality MP3
at http://hccrc.org/pickup

Segments can be up to 7-8 minutes in length,
preferably with multiple sources and in-depth
research.

There's no budget for paying anyone.  We uphold
high editorial and production standards while
providing access, training and mentoring to
inexperienced contributors and producers.

If your station doesn't carry Sprouts, or isn't a
producing station we want you to do both.
Contact us for more information, or check up and
weigh in on the discussion at the Pacifica
Affiliates e-mail discussion group.

If you'd appreciate any help producing your
segment, we'll connect you with Free Speech Radio
News co-producer Randi Zimmerman, based at Tampa's
WMNF. She and all of us here at KCSB are happy to
provide any coaching or troubleshooting on your
segment's conception, research, audio gathering,
scripting, voicing, mixing, MP3 uploading and so
on.

Thanks,
Keith Rozendal & KT Jarmul
KCSB-FM in Santa Barbara, California

PS: the story ideas we want a reporter to pick up
are these:

1) go into local doctors' offices and discuss with
staff the pharma marketing that they are subject
to.  This should be combined with statistical data
on marketing budgets, etc, and perhaps one with a
dissident doctor that is resisting somehow.

2) Democracy Now! recently featured a bit on this
topic, which we wanted to do our own reporting on,
including interviews with targeted scientists and
people who are experts in the public funding of
science.  "A list of over 150 scientists
researching a wide range of topics related to
health and sexuality, including HIV/AIDS, has been
compiled and given to federal officials by a
conservative advocacy group and is being used in
attempts to discredit the researchers and
challenge or revoke their federal grants.

The list of about $100 million in grants was
prepared last summer by the Traditional Values
Coalition, which claims to represent 43,000
churches nationwide.

The list is being used by the coalition and its
government allies in attempts to discredit the
researchers and challenge or revoke their federal
grants. The list is circulating among members of
Congress and was forwarded to the National
Institutes of Health (NIH), which is responsible
for awarding the crucially important grants. NIH
is now asking these scientists to provide
additional justification for their work.

Last week, Democratic Rep. Henry A. Waxman of
California denounced the list as an ideologically
driven "hit list." In a letter to Health Secretary
Tommy Thompson, Waxman said officials within HHS
itself appear to have been directly involved in
the lists creation and demanded an explanation.