[Imc-radio] headlines to story idea

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 27 06:26:33 CST 2004

Sarah,
Remember that we are following Free Speech Radio News and DN! -- most of
what you have suggested for coverage will be covered in these venues
already.

I think we need to try to get more local/regional news for headlines. Lots
of peeps don't subscribe to the News Gazette and don't know even sketches of
some things. I know you are out of town, so this will be more difficult for
you... but...

Let's take advantage of your being in Springfield and privy to this story re
the AA man falsely arrested. This looks like a great story and bonus that it
is a regional story that we are able to do while we are making these pilot
regional news shows.

So could you do that story... and take the full 5 minutes? Make sure you
name who the States Attorney is in Springfield and all the 5 Ws, when the
robbery took place, when he was arrested, what he was charged with, what
actions set him free. Have they arrested anyone else?  Why did this
happen... what could have led the police to arrest him (wrong color wrong
place?) etc.

Several options, since you probably don't have recording equipment while you
are interviewing anyone. Simplest is just to do the investigation and write
up the story. Then you can call it in. If I have any additional questions
that come to mind while I can ask them of you and you can answer them as
part of the audio of the story. Rremember to end with "from Springfield Ill,
This is Sarah Lazare for IMC Radio News.

If you wanted to take it further you could have someone who knows about the
case, or the defendant himself interview with you. If you both were in the
same place and could call in to me... I could record your converstaion as
you passed the phone back and forth. More complicated, but do'able.

-------------
Anyone else have ideas for headlines? I would like to see:

There is a suspected serial killer in Peoria -- I think 6 African American
prosititutes murdered with similar circumstances. (this story has been in
the NG) (Sarah... perhaps you could find the story in the Spfld paper ...
ask the reference librarians for help... and report on that) (maybe Sarah's
bro could do this one)

Development of Lincoln Square.
(A. issue of free speech in Lincoln Square on the radar... as AWARE .... and
other political groups could not move their tables from Farmers Market to
inside Farmers Market)
(B, positive issue in that the developement could be very green/ community
centered/ pedestrian freindly, etc)

Update on DN! on UPTV and large turnout at city council mtg.

Can anyone take any of these and write a headline?
Anything else?

Sandra