[Imc-radio] Radio news stipend

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 19:37:43 CDT 2005

Molly,
The reason no one is being paid is that this has never been proposed or
consensed to, AFAIK, as you noted. I have no problem with a proposal
being made about this for the future, although I might also have some
specific concerns about it that I'll note at the end of this.

But I have a serious problem with retroactive financial claims being
made for volunteer work at the IMC. I think most people assume, for good
reason, that any work done for or at the IMC is volunteer unless it is
clear that they've been engaged with a specific understanding that they
will be reimbursed for their services.

Basically, if we as an organization in which 99%+ of all our work is
volunteer were to set a precedent that a volunteer could turn around and
ask that work done previously should now be considered as paid labor, we
effectively cease to exist as a finacially viable entity -- we simply
can't afford to pay for even a small percentage of the potential claims
possible under such a scenario. Heck, I could probably come up with
several hundred billable hours myself from last summer alone. I could
probably even quit grad school... I hate to have to be a bit pointed
here, but the real question would be where does it end?

Additionally, we do have a process in place for contracting for labor at
the IMC. Since this was never invoked, it is clear that there really is
no evidence that it was ever the intention of the IMC or Radio to pay
for Dave (or anyone else) to produce the news. I wish he would cite
exactly when he first assumed that this was the case and why, as it
clearly seems to be a misunderstanding on his part.

I think I explained the background fairly well on what exactly it is was
previously agreed to do with income from WEFT (it was intended to go
towards equipment and production expenses) and what appears to be Dave's
confusion of the agreement on a division of potential income from
syndication to FSRN, etc with this on-going WEFT income, which was never
intended to be used to pay producers or reporters, as far as I know.

Now I'll admit I have not been at a Radio meeting in a long time, but
I've been on the email list since the beginning, as well as in Steering
(which should have been informed IF anyone was actually contracted with
to do this work.) I do not remember any other decision being made to
modify this original consensus on the WEFT income. I would be happy to
stand corrected if I am wrong about this, but let's have a citation from
Radio meeting notes or something to support it if someone's memory on
this point is different than mine.

I do know that the original decision -- made by consensus -- on what to
do with income from WEFT was made by a Radio group that was
substantially larger than the group that exists now -- and the Radio
group now is one that clearly has never (in the absence of something I
might have missed) reached a consensus decision to pay
producers/reporters for producing the show for WEFT or otherwise change
the existing policy.

Ultimately, I am OK with hiring people for a certain spectrum of
specific tasks at the IMC. Generally, my own feeling is that this is OK
where:
1) It is an essential task necessary for the proper functioning of the
organization in cases where no is available as a volunteer and
2) The task falls _outside_ the core volunteer mission of the IMC and
3) When such a decision is made openly following the processes we have
in place for making such decisions.

Generally, if we don't have people enough interested to put out the
Public i, operate the website, put on shows or produce radio news, then
we probably just shouldn't do it. Making non-commercial media by
providing the resources to do so to volunteer reporters is our core
mission. If there is a particular aspect of our current program that
doesn't have enough interest, then we need to go in directions that do
have it -- we simply can't afford to pay for what would be good, but
doesn't have volunteer support.

And how would all those doing volunteer reporting for the IMC feel if
suddenly a certain few were to start getting paid for the same thing
they're doing?

Additionally, an IMC directly paying an IMC reporter (rather than an IMC
reporter deriving income from syndication outside of Indymedia for
something produced as an IMC project) raises profound questions that
seems to have answers directly at odds with Indymedia principles. No one
has even mentioned this yet, but I think it bears thinking about. I
won't even open that can of worms beyond that, but when I think about it
even a little in those terms, it is very problematic.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am fairly certain that such a
proposal would also raise concerns with other members. Even so, I am
willing to consider such a proposal -- in the future -- if my concerns
about these things were addressed somehow.
Mike Lehman